How long to cook 6-10 spare slabs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

I recently smoked one slab of pork spare ribs on the top grate using the minion method with 1/2 filled charcoal chamber, 3 chunks oak/1 chunk hickory in 6 hours.

I plan to do a smoke for a party about using 6-10 slabs. Would appreciate advice on:
- How long should it take? About the same or much longer?
- Can I use the Minion method for this?
- I assume that I will need a full charcoal chamber.
- Should I use the same amount of wood or increase each amount?
- Will there be any difference in the cook time between the meat on the bottom and top grates?

Any other pieces of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Barry

Use the same techniques, temps and the time should be close to the same, possibly slightly longer because of the volume of meat.
Rotate the ribs from the bottom grate to the top rack half the way through the cook.
Jim

Thanks Jim.

Should I stick with the 1/2 filled charcoal chamber or increase that to a full chamber because of the increased amount of meat?
How much longer would you say it might take? another hour?

I would not increase the amount of burning charcoal to start the cook. I would fill the fire ring at least 3/4 full, if not full of unlit cahrcoal and lite it off with no more than 1/2 a chimney full of burning charcoal.
I would give myself a couple of extra hours, if they finish earlier you can easily hold them for a couple of hours wrapped in a dry cooler. If you do need the time you will be glad you have it to finish them.
Jim

Thanks for your advice Jim. Looks like I will be up early that morning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back