How long should i plan for this cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy C.

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone. I am making lunch for my co-workers this Monday and am planning to smoke a 6lb and and a 7lb pork butt, and maybe some baby back ribs on top. I am planning to do this smoke overnight starting Sunday evening and wanted to finish up pulling the pork by 10 AM the next morning. How much time should I allot for smoking for this amount of meat? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Randy C.

Randy,
Allow yourself at least 2hrs of cooking per pound for the butts. Also at least an hour or so for them to rest in a cooler prior to pulling! And about 4 hours for the BB's. Could be more or less cooking time involved, just give yourself plenty of time so you don't have to rush the Q! Good luck and remember post pictures!

Unless you're going to eat at 7 a.m., I'd be aiming to wrap the butts and stick 'em in a warm cooler around 7, as they will still be piping hot at 11 or so and you can pull 'em then for an early lunch mebbe.

Having said that, I like Larry's 2 hour per pound suggestion, but for me, I'm always safe if I plan to give a cook 20 hours---no matter what it is!

I agree with Susan about putting them in the cooler around 7am or 8am! IMO, it seems when they rest a little longer, they taste a lot better. Moist and whatnot!

Good luck Randy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>IMO, it seems when they rest a little longer, they taste a lot better. Moist and whatnot! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You are indeed correct Greg!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy C.:
Hi everyone. I am making lunch for my co-workers this Monday and am planning to smoke a 6lb and and a 7lb pork butt, and maybe some baby back ribs on top. I am planning to do this smoke overnight starting Sunday evening and wanted to finish up pulling the pork by 10 AM the next morning. How much time should I allot for smoking for this amount of meat? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Randy C. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think 26hrs is kinda high for an estimate. In line with what Larry and Susan are suggesting if it were me I would start the butts at 11am Sunday afternoon, plan to remove at 7am Monday. That gives you 20 hours to reach a target of 195F - 205F at WSM temp of 225F. Plan a little less time if you know you run your WSM hotter like 235F or 240F. If you want to remove the BBs at the same time you should start them around 3am.

I agree with the latest consensus: at least about 2 hrs per pound for butts, 5 hours for ribs, and it's smart to leave a couple of hours of slack at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back