how long on the WSM before foil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott w

I'm gathering that the foil technique I've used om the offset smokers doesn't translate to the WSM very well. I don't know if it's the charcoal vs all wood, but I keep drying out my briskets on the WSM.

When I've foiled fo rthe last half of the cook I end up with spicey pot roast.

what I'm after is the set-it-&-forget-it brisket, but I keep missing the mark.

Obviously practive makes perfect (and I'm loving it!), butI could use some tips.

I did my first brisket, actually 4 Flats, over the weekend. I smoked them until they were 173, which got them out of the rendering plateau. This took 6.5 hrs. I then foiled and put them in the oven at 300 until they were 195. I was very happy with the results, but they could have had a bit more bark.

Scott,

Don't know how you did it on your offset, but I have had better luck with my briskets on the Bullet.

I try to smoke at 225 on the on the top grate. When internal temp gets to be about 175- 180, I foil. Keep in foil till bout 195-200. Not totally anal bout it. Still old fashioned enough to stick my big ol carvin fork into the donkey end of the point to tell if it's done.

Then wrap in HD foil/bath towels and put in cooler for at least 2 1/2 to 3 hrs and let it rest. To me, brisket/Butts are better in WSM!

I have smoked Butt on top and brisket on the bottom. I feel that U get better smoke penetration on the top grate. I was corrected by people that here know more bout the Bullet then I do. Truth be told, with the price of brisket, I have been too cheap to do one on the top and one on the bottom, so I'm gonna assume that they are right. I'm sure that they are.

Others will differ. Hope this helps.

Mike

Scott
As the other have said foil once it hits 165 to 175? internal, then pull from the cooker when the brisket hits 190? and place in dry cooler. The brisket has enough stored heat to continue to climb aprox 10? more. If you wait to pull until it reaches the higher temp(195 to 205)
chances are higher that you will have pot roast.

Jeff
If you use foil it will effect bark, if you want more bark wait until later in the cook to foil.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back