How long for chicken drumsticks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Taylor

Hi guys,

I just typed out a big mesage and it got lost,
so here I am typing again :-)

I'm going to do a smoke tomorrow, some baby back ribs, and a pork butt.

My wife bought some chicken drumsticks ( fresh) in a package and wants to try them for fun.

How long should I leave the drumsticks on the WSM ? ... temp will be about 250 for my ribs, so I'm assuming maybe 2 hours maximum, but I would love to hear from any of you who have done this in the past.

thanks in advance,

Mark

You'll need to have the drumsticks on the bottom grate so they won't drip juice on any other meat. You're probably right in so far as time, around 2 hrs. I've done thights and breasts as pieces but never drumsticks. If you had a kettle available it would probably be better to cook them seperate on it, indirect, at around 350. My guess is they'd finish in around 45 min to an hour. Since it's dark meat I assume you would want an internal temp of 180.

I assume you've done butts before, but if you haven't, you need to know they or it will take some time. Start early because you can always hold a butt but you really can't speed up the cook without losing something. I would assume you'll be staring the ribs later, because you're not going to be able to hold them after they finish as long as the butt.

Good luck and hope things go well - enjoy.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back