How long for 2 butts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wittman

I have 2 bone-in Boston butts that are 6.3 lbs each. I was thinking about a 12 hour cook at 225. Does that sound right? Or too short?

That may be right but it could well be a little on the short side. I would plan on a 12 to 16 hr window of finish time. I've cooked butts that size in less time but my retrospective explanation was they had less fat content than others and therefore less to break down.

Good luck with the cook.

Paul

Paul is right! I could take less, but it is more likely it could take longer. Start earlier than you think, and wrap them up in the cooler if they finish sooner than you anticipated. If you put boiling water into your cooler, let it sit for about a half hour, wrap your meat up, pour the water out, cover the meat titely with a towel and close the cooler. They will stay "HOT" for at least 4 hours. Good luck

I did 2 boneless butts last weekend. A total of 10 lbs. I kept the temp pretty constant at 220. They took me a total of 16 hrs and that includes puttinf foil on the last 2 hrs to help speed it up! I'm not sure if the bone would speed it up or slow it down.I would follow the advice of starting earlier and wrapping for the cooler if finished early.

Good Luck!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back