How Long Can You Save "The Juice".............

JimT

TVWBB Pro
......You know, those wonderful drippings you pour off the foil after resting your brisket, butt, ribs, etc.

While cleaning out the refrigerator tonight, I found three small containers. One I know is from last Sunday. Going in some beans tonight. Another I had thoughtfully labeled, "Brisket, 7-15-06." It's not been disturbed, since it still has the cap of fat that always rised to the surface. Would it be OK to use?

The third I decided to just throw away. I obviously had used some of it, since the "fat cap" was gone, and you could tell it had been a little stirred up. It smelled wonderful though, and no other evidence of spoilage!

So back to the question. How long can you safely store this stuff in a cold refrigerator?

Thanks,

JimT

I don't know officially what the limit is. But for fresh stock, which I make all the time, I never really let it sit in the fridge longer than a week - and I make sure it's been cooled quickly. And when it's been there for a week, I still bring it to a simmer fo a few minutes before I use it.

I would definitely not go much more than that.

I always take "the juice" from briskets and put it in containers in the fridge. After a day or so, the fat rises to the top and the jelly settles to the bottom. Then I spoon the jelly into ice cube trays and freeze 'em. When they are solid I remove to zip lock bags and leave in the freezer.

Stays good for as long as you need. I always use them up before they go bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
I always take "the juice" from briskets and put it in containers in the fridge. After a day or so, the fat rises to the top and the jelly settles to the bottom. Then I spoon the jelly into ice cube trays and freeze 'em. When they are solid I remove to zip lock bags and leave in the freezer.

Stays good for as long as you need. I always use them up before they go bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that idea. Thanks Tom!

JimT

Hey Jim-

I can't wait to hear the second half of this story - when Jan pours herself a scotch over your brisket cubes!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Sutton:
Hey Jim-

I can't wait to hear the second half of this story - when Jan pours herself a scotch over your brisket cubes!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmmmm,,,,Smoked scotch! Maybe you could incorporate a little bit into one of your homebrews!

I tried a little experiment last night, using some of the fat that had floated to the top to fry up a veal pattie for a quick and easy veal parmesan. Not good at all!!!
icon_frown.gif

JimT

Back