How long can a WSM go....?

Ron Hunter

TVWBB Member
I'm still a newbie but I really enjoy the WSM. I stopped smoking over 10 years ago because of the trouble of using the el cheapo Brinkman.

This summer I purchased the WSM and I still can't believe the difference in use.

Last night at 10:00pm I put on 2 butts - 8.5 and 9.5 lbs. Cooked all night at 225. Kicked it up a bit to 240 around 8am and took both off at 12:20. They're still wrapped in the cooler to pull in a couple of hours - and the 'apple pie beans' are in the fridge waiting for an experience with the oven (used sausage).
icon_biggrin.gif

Rather than try to keep used charcoal, when I took off the butts I opened all the vents to 100%. Just checked a few minutes ago and the lid temp was 340 degrees. I stirred the ashes and it looks like there is still enough fuel for 2 - 3 hours. Right now the burn time is over 17 hours!

Temp here is in the low 90s and no wind. I wonder how long in these conditions the temps would stay at or above 225 if I was still cooking.

What will winter cooking with the temps 30 - 40 degrees do??

BTW - used the MM with 15 briq to start and the 2 gallon brinkman pan. Never had to add water.

GO WSM!

with the clay base mod i have went 22 hours on a full ring of rancher doing minion method and still had some left. a full ring is just slightly over half a bag of rancher briquettes. i light the rancher with about 10 pieces of rancher or a few pieces of lump.

I've had similar results using sand in the pan and Kingsford (although I think water in the pan wouldn't alter the times).

18-22 hours isn't unusual at all using the Minion Method.

Put the beans in the WSM uncovered - if you had put them under a butt, they would have been sublime.

Smoked pork fat is WONDERFUL
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Hunter:
I'm still a newbie but I really enjoy the WSM.

and the 'apple pie beans' are in the fridge waiting for an experience with the oven (used sausage).
icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As rich said NO, NO, NO! to the beans in the oven? Too late I know. Ok your a rookie and this is your one free pass. You have no idea how awsome those beans would have been under the butts for 6-8 hrs. Baked Bean nirvana comes to mind.
icon_wink.gif

Wow - I never thought of cooking Kerri's hog apple beans in the WSM - but I will next time.

Since I've never had leftover pulled pork what I've been doing is taking a chunk that has reached temp faster and pull that to go in the beans.

Could I still do this and just add the fresh pork to the beans in the WSM?

With my clay saucer mod and the mm, I got 21 hours at 250 and after that, the temp dropped. I used a little less than half a bag of Rancer and 20 hot coals to get the fuel going.

I've held 225 - 250 for 24 hours using MM, Clay Saucer, Rancher with 10 lit Kingsford briquets to start her.

Back