how is chuck roast usually handled?

I do mine until it appears to be fall apart. I use the fork for this. Temps would be around 190 plus, and roughly 3 hours per pound low and slow.

The chucks I have been getting are not very thick, and the probe doesn't give very accurate readings. So I do the fork test and twirl thing.

I've never tried 125 and slicing. IMO chuck is just too tough...but I guess others have done it and like it.

There has been a couple discussions on this. The consenses is 3 hours per pound at 225º. Sounds odd that you cook on time and not temp or feel, but it works and works well. I used a thermo the first time and it was right on. Use one if you want, but you don't need to.

This is for Chuck Roast and only Chuck Roast. Makes for a better PULLED beef the briskett.

Prime rib, nice and slow till desired temp/doneness.

I much prefer brisket for pulled beef and only use chuck roll if needing a large quantity which, fortunately for me, I don't often need.

"Chuck" doesn't mean much by itself; "chuck roast" is fairly meaningless except that you know the hunk of meat in the package is cut from the chuck. The entire chuck is composed of different muscles that can be separated from each other or cut in different ways to make different roasts. These roasts can and do vary in thickness, fat and connective tissue which can and does result in varying textures and tenderness possibilities between the different roasts.

Not all roasts from the chuck need to be cooked till pullable unless of course that's the desired finish. My favorite steak from the grill (after a rib-eye) is a flat iron steak, preferably cooked to medium rare. Flat irons are cut from the chuck top blade.

I like making mushroom pot roast. I put a 4-6 lb boneless chuck roast on the smoker for 3 hours at 250-275 to get a good smokey flavor, then toss it in a foil pan. Add a few shakes of worcestershire, rub in dry onion soup (~1 pouch/5lbs), 1 can cream of mushroom soup cut with 1/2 can of water, 1-2 lbs of whole, quartered or sliced mushrooms, cover with foil and put back on the smoker and cook at 350 for around another 3 hours until very tender. After it's done, take the pot roast out of the pan, pour the gravy in bowl and skim the fat off after it settles. Slice, cover with gravy, make pot roast sandwiches next day. Mmmmmmmm.....

Back