How I make Kimchi

Brian Dahl

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi gang - we really enjoy Kimchi! We've been out for awhile and I saw a pretty head of napa cabbage at the farmer's market: time to whip up a batch! Kimchi is (I feel) the easiest of the fermented vegetables to make, I encourage all to give it a try. Here are all the ingredients I use, plus sea salt and a daikon radish that was camera shy. The carrots, peppers and garlic are all from our garden.

That's red pepper powder in the bag on the right, salted shrimp in the jar and dried seaweed slices in the bowl. Rough cut the cabbage (the head weighed in at 3 1/2#) and slice the onion. At this point I'm working with two bowls - too much volume for one! Sprinkle each bowl with a T. sea salt, toss.

Large grate on the carrots, thin slice on the peppers. Two peppers I kept the seeds and membrane, two I cooled down some. Toss.

By now the mix should be 'feeling' pretty slippery. I wasn't feelin' it, so an additional t. of salt to each bowl. I had earlier covered the seaweed in a little boiling water, so that goes in now with the garlic and ginger.

Salted shrimp:

1/4 C. each of the shrimp, rinsed and the pepper powder. I can't get these last two ingredients in smaller packaging: they get kept in the freezer. Before and after the last toss. The daikon showed up about now, large grate and in she goes.

Usually I jar it up at this step and refrigerate. I have a buddy who leaves his on the counter for a week, than jars and refrigerates. I had other stuff to get done, so I combined the two bowls, covered it and put it on the patio for the night. Here is the bowl after one jars worth has been removed...

and the finished product with one of Cindy's dahlias.

Into the fridge they go. We'll start eating from them in about a week. I check the jars every other day at first, releasing the pressure (over the sink, opening the lid slowly!) that builds up - a critical step. One time I didn't, the lid was bulging, and I lost about a half cup of liquid goodness letting the pressure off. The fermenting slows down as time goes by and the flavor keeps improving (getting stronger). These three jars will last us for a couple of months. That's all there is to it! Anyone else make their own? Different ingredients than what I've used - I would love to hear of other variations. Thanks for stoppin' by, now go make a batch!

Your kimchi looks great. I should try adding more ingredients, but so far just napa cabbage, garlic & ginger. Next ingredients on the list are daikon and salted shrimp.

I remove the big leaves and wash them, quarter the remaining cabbage and chop each quarter into ~1" pieces. Same problem with "no bowl is big enough" that you have.

Then I add salt until it tastes right (someone wrote that "the taste pops" when you get it right and that seems to work), add the other ingredients (garlic, ginger, Korean red pepper and a bit of fish sauce) and let it sit for maybe 30 minutes. At that point I squeeze the mix until I get enough liquid to cover the cabbage then it goes into rectangular plastic containers (the big Ziploc disposables work for me), gets covered with the leaves I removed at the start, then pushed down into the container until liquid covers the leaves. Occasionally I have to add water but not very often.

I leave the containers in the pantry for a few days and then move 'em to the fridge. The plastic containers seem to handle inattention and pressure buildup better than glass jars, although the glass jars look much better and probably don't leach evil things into the kimchi.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipes. What causes the fermentation? I make beer, mead and wine which all use yeast to accomplish the fermentation but I don't see anything like that here. Please advise...

Regards,

John

@ John B. - The one class I took about vegetable fermentation indicated the brine should be as salty as sea water, which is what I aim for. That being said, summer fermentation is much quicker than winter (refrigerator). Summer = more salt, winter = less. It's the salt that keeps the 'bad' biotics in check.

@ John S. - It's magic... no, no, no: my humble understanding is it's the different paths bacteria vs. fungi take in anaerobic environments. Yeast eats sugar, converting it to alcohol; bacteria makes Kimchi out of the salts and cellulose in the no oxygen environment. If I may suggest here and here Give it a go, it's easier that yeast fermentation!

Back