How do you run the wires (Maverick Questions)?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just got my Maverick in the mail. When you clip a probe on the grill, how do you feed the wires out of the WSM (through a vent hole or do you just crush it with the lid?)

For that matter, should you measure the temp from the bottom grate or the top?

I'm cooking ribs tomorrow. I assume that there is no point in sticking the second probe in a rack of ribs. I have another remote thermometer that I use for my grill and have found it useless for cooking really "thin" things like ribs and chicken breast.

Thanks!

Craig

Hi Craig,

I don't have a Maverick but a Nu-Temp 701 which I run through a hole in a larger block of wood that I would normally smoke with and it holds the probe about 1/2" above the grate. I wrap the cord with foil and run it between the center section and the lid - Easier that way when you have to remove the lid. I always locate the probe on the top grate since that's where most of my food is smoked - If using both racks, I rotate the food. Hope this helps.

Bill

Hi Craig, I also have a Maverick. I haven't settled on a permanent solution yet. The first few times I put the wires under the lid. It ended up crimping the wires some, so I quit that way. Lately I've been just feeding them through the top vent. It's much easier on the wires. Unfortunately the smoker probe wire is kind of short, so it just dangles. I'm still thinking about a permanent solution...

Also, like you said, there's no point in probing the ribs. I just cook mine until the meat has pulled down 3/4-1" or so. Good luck!

I've got the Maverick, and I run them through the vent holes. PITA, I know - but knowing how fragile the wires on some of these probes can be, I figured it was better that way than under the lid.

Besides - once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad (especially if you're not mopping - if you need to open occasionally to mop, then I'd say give the lid crushing a shot).

Craig,

At first I ran the wires through the vent holes, but what a pain the butt when I had to take the lid off for turning...
Then someone recommended running the wires through the fuel door. Makes it much easier and I hang the unit on the knob.

Agreed-- no sense making this any harder than it needs to be. For food on the top grate, arrange the wire so it exits the cooker parallel to the edge of the top rim of the middle section, and carefully replace the lid. For food on the bottom grate, direct the wire so it exits the top of the access door opening vertically and similarly fasten the door. The wires are designed to snake around the door seals of a conventional oven, so if you just take it easy, no harm will come to them. If you go at it with the view of not kinking the wire, you'll be OK.

Doug D hit the nail on the head. Remember, you can always order replacement probes if you *do* trash one.

BTW the probes on my Maverick Redi Check remote and my Component Design Northwest DTTC look absolutely identical. I wonder if they're inter-changable, and if this is the case for other probe thermometers as well.

--Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>. Remember, you can always order replacement probes if you *do* trash one.
(Tom O'Neill)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>But then I wont be able to BBQ. I dont remember how to cook with a dial thermometer. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Jim

What do you guys think about cutting a small notch (Like a 1/4 inch wide and deep) in the top of the middle section(The lip of the middle section) where the lid comes down over it??? (But no notch in the lid)

To let the wire pass thru without getting kinked??

Any Thoughs????

-Craig

Craig, I've been thinking about that very idea. I think it would work well. How about you make the first cut and tell me how it goes? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob B.:
[qb] How about you make the first cut and tell me how it goes? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Look at alt.binaries.food

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Look at alt.binaries.food
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary, thanks for the tip on cutting with a Dremel. It's been 7 years since I went to a newsgroup page, and I don't remember how to do it. Sorry to be a PITA, but could you or someone remind me?

TIA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob B.:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Look at alt.binaries.food
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary, thanks for the tip on cutting with a Dremel. It's been 7 years since I went to a newsgroup page, and I don't remember how to do it. Sorry to be a PITA, but could you or someone remind me?

TIA. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sending pics directly via e-mail. Gary

That's a functional, clean looking mod Gary.
I'm going for it! Thanks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Be sure to think about those slots prior to cutting. I think putting them on opposite sides of the access door was a mistake. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif I can fill them with GE Silicone. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I think a better place would be to one side only, so no wires hang in front of the door. Or even in back. I still like having 2 seperate slots though, one for food the other grate.

Gary

LOL... Guys .. Help an old man out... How do you get to alt.binaries.food ...???

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back