How do you keep your Q knives sharp?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
There seem to be so many choices between sticks, stones, diamond, lansky, electrics, etc. i don't know what to pick. The Chef Choice electric model looks easy and effective but i worry about damaging good knives.

What do you folks use? Do you use a sharpening steel too?

Stones. But now I also have a system from EdgePro that I use, like very much, and highly recommend. Were I to pick only one sharpening method, I would go for the EdgePro.

On edit: Missed the second question. Yes, I steel. I use an ultra-fine diamond, a ceramic, and/or a smooth steel, depending on the reason I am steeling (in between sharpenings, at the end of sharpening, etc.), and depending on the knife in question.

I have a Lansky system that I really like. It uses a similar principal to the EdgePro that Kevin mentioned, but probably not as good/precise.

However, it does cost a lot less.

I use an 11 1/2 inch bench stone called an India stone because it's made of aluminum oxide. It has both coarse and fine grits. Once resharpened, I then drag the blade's edge over a piece of 1200 wet-or-dry sandpaper to further refine the sharp edge.

Finally, It's honed by dragging backwards on the surface of an old leather belt (i.e. strop). While stropping the blade must be kept level otherwise the leather will bulge over the blade's edge causing it to dull.

I <STRIKE>won't</STRIKE> will be spending $100+ for the EdgePro system at this time. <STRIKE>What are the relative merits of the Lansky, Gatco and other less expensive knife sharpening systems?</STRIKE>

The EdgoPro system appears to be the way to go, kind of like the WSM. Buy the best and only cry once.
jrp

The reason that I prefer stones is that I MYSELF select the sharpening angle.

Go to the hardware store ant get the following sheets of wet or dry sandpaper: 400 grit, 800 grit (or thereabouts), 1200 and 2000 grits.

To secure the paper, wet the backside of it and place upon a flat surface. Stroke the cutting edge backwards along the paper as thought you're dragging the cutting edge itself. Repeat this 50 times using each grit. Finally drag the edge backwards on a leather belt for final honing. You won't be disappointed.

Good Ole fashion oil/wet stones and a steel for me. It's all i know.
icon_biggrin.gif

This is the oilstone that I use. It's a 11 1/2 inch India stone made of aluminum oxide. Should anyone decide to go with oil stones, the get the largest one you can find because the longer the stone, the more it facilitates sharpening.

Lee Valley Tools

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete Walbridge:
There is a pretty good tutorial here that talks about different ways/systems for sharpening. I thought it was pretty good.

Pete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pete - Thanks for the link to a good source of information.

All - see my revised post above.

Jim

You will both be pleased with the EdgePro. The learning curve isn't much and the DVD that comes in the package is thorough but concise.

I found a mobile shapener that sharpen knives for restaraunts for 3 bucks a knife. I steel in between and when they need it I give him a call.

After reading the recommendations here and elsewhere for the Edgepro system I too am getting one for Christmas. I can't use it before the 25th but I can sneak in watching the DVD before then.
icon_wink.gif

Jim

I can only dream--but nope, I'm not affiliated with EdgePro and don't even know the guy that developed it, Ben, whom you'll see on the DVD. (Seems like a rather pleasant fellow though.)

It's the only item on my Christmas wish list and I just sent it off for Santa's review. I had been using one of those manual 'V' systems with ceramic rods. The problem is the rods are not at the correct angle so I need to adjust my hold of the knife. These are variables that the Egdepro looks like it eliminates. I have spent allot on knives and want to keep them nice. Thanks for the post!

EdgePro received. What angles should I keep on my knives? The tutorial that Pete linked recommends a 15 degree back bevel and a 20 degree primary edge. Do you use different angles for different knife functions - boning, chef's, paring, slicer, etc.?

I'll be shapening a set of Wusthof Classics, a set of old Chicago Cutlery, and other miscellaneous knives.

Jim

Back