How Do You Clean Your WSM and/or Gasser?

JPGodfrey

Made some bodacious chicken hindquarters tonight on my new Genesis EP-330 tonight.
It's really a terrific grill!
Now that I've cooked on it a few times, I'm wondering how you guys clean your gasser?
Nothing prissy, but I'd like to keep it clean enough.

thanks,
JP

I always brush the grill grates immediately after removing the food while there still hot. About every 4 or 5 cooks depending on what I’ve cooked I’ll I turn all three burners on high for twenty minutes to burn off any grease. Make sure you stick around if you do the burn off because it can get entertaining. I cooked about 25 ABTs and forgot to put a drip pan under them and when I did the twenty minute burn off that ton of bacon grease lit up and that was quite the site, really lit up the night sky even with the cover closed. In the winter when I use my gasser more about once a month I’ll take the grills off and remove the flavorizer bars and scrape down the sides of the tub and get the big chunks off the bars.
It’s a lot of work but my Weber Silver B is 21 years old and still cooks and looks like new.

Gasser - The drip tray & pan come out pretty easy, so I dump them a few times a season. Otherwise, the ol' gal only gets a 'spring cleaning' where I scrape everything down.

WSM - Not much of anything on the interior body walls, but the cooking grates get brushed every cook. I wipe the rim of the midsection with paper towel while it's still warm because it'll develop a layer of gunk that'll have the lid stick. Other than keeping the outside looking clean & shiny, that's about it.

Once a year I blast the inside of the lids on all the cookers with the power washer.

That soot build up on the inside of the lids can be nasty. It looks exactly like paint peeling off when it’s built up too much and if it gets on you food you will taste it for sure.

When I do the Genesis I remove the lid from the grill, so the water doesn’t get all over the insides.

It's kind of funny, but I deep cleaned my gasser last fall with the intention of finally grilling a few times during winter. However, it sits on my deck and in the direct line of fire from my snow blower so I never even got to it. I did use my 22.5 OTG (that gets a very cursory cleaning at the best of times) and other than the horrible weather, the results were quite good.

I am going to grill up some AAA striploins for supper this "late" afternoon (going up to a sunny tropical 10c today) and fire up the poor under-used Spirit. However, at least I don't have to clean it.

Last weekend I used an entire can of easy-off oven cleaner on the outside of the WSM & in the charcoal bowl. I let it sit for 10-min or so and then used a soft scrub brush. Then I eventually hosed all of it off. It looks AMAZING!!

I put the grate fom my WSM on the gasser to clean it after a cook. And I'll do a burn out if I see anything green on the inside.
The gasser gets a cleaning about twice a year. I dump the grease pan as needed.

Back