How do I prevent "bark"?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Here is the thing.. I love a dehydrated rib with the fat rendered out but I HATE BARK. My question is how can I produce dehyrated ribs without bark? I'm sure some of you are going to ask how I currently cook so here it is.

SPARERIBS - membrane removed

BRITU rub with brown sugar rug combined (made my own rub)

ribs at room temp for 1.5 hours before going on grill. (rub applied 24 or more hours in advance - sealed in food saver bag so meat will stay fresh)

Weber Bullet started Minion method (one and one half chimneys unstarted 1/2 fired and spread on top.. temp slowly brought up to 225 - 240. Remote thermometer to watch the temp through entire process.

Ribs in cooker for about 4 hours before removing lid.. then apple juice spray on every hour or so. Then I let temp go up to about 260 and stay there until ribs are done.. tooth pick check and ribs pulled away from end of bones... Usually about 7 hours to get meat dehydrated (the way I like) but tender.

Meat is REALLY GOOD.. but really hate bark.

So I'll ask my question again how can I produce dehyrated ribs without bark?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Meat is REALLY GOOD.. but really hate bark.

So I'll ask my question again how can I produce dehyrated ribs without bark? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just so I understand correctly, you're cooking Britu and dont like bark?

You could try a crock pot?

Skip the rub, brine instead for flavor, and keep the meat moist throughout the cooking process.

Yep.

I should have said 'skip the rub and brine instead for flavor, or keep the meat moist throughout the cooking process'. Foiling can help that. 'Dehydrating' would have to be done post-foiling and not at too high a temp (to avoid sugars caramelizing and getting too hard) or for too long. A baste might help here.

Thanks guys.. I'm brand new to cooking ribs and I bought my weber bullet after all the rave reviews on this site. Therefore by using BRITU it was the first I've tried because it was the first method of seasoning that that I saw.

Welcome to the fold!

If you like the process you're using and want to experiment then the first thing I'd suggest is to cut the sugar in the rub. The BRITU rub is ~40% sugar--consider replacing most of it (so you end up with 10-15% sugar by volume) with spices, herbs or a combo.

Back