How could this happen?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I put a 10 pound brisket on at 5:00 tonight, never let the temp pass 254 degrees, and it his an internal temp (taken in several places) of 187 degrees at 10:45. I have never had a brisket get internal temps like that in anything less than an hour per pound. (And yes I checked to make sure the thermometer was reading correctly). Can anyone explain how this could happen? I ended up pulling it a t 192 internal temp. Ultimatley I ended up throwing the whole thing in the trash it ticked me off so much

Why'd you throw it in the trash? What kind of texture did it have? Only five and 3/4 hours to get to temp... man, that was one fast brisket! Perhaps it had a much higher content of fat marbling than usual, for some reason?

kc
Smokin on Tulsa Time

No, it was a select, but it was really marbled, more so than any other brisket I have ever cooked.

My experience with Prime Briskets, which I get once in a while, is that they cook much faster, as fast as 45 minutes per pound. I had a 12 pounder last year that cooked in 9 hours. Had to figure out how to hold it for 10 hours until turn-in.

It was ok, but, not like freshly pulled from the smoker and sliced for eating, but it was very very tender.

Dale

Mike, I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I put on a 8lbs brisket flat and my temp was steady at 240. The brisket hit 190 internal in only 6 hours. It was good, but not great. I just concluded that I got real lean brisket.

Mine came off very tough. I would have left it on longer, but at the rate that its temp was rising in combination with the time of night that this was occurring (around 11:00) made me not want to stay up and baby-sit it. I had planed for a cook that would make the meat done somewhere between 8:00 - 11:00 in the morning, letting me sleep through the night (I was going to a NASCAR truck race the next day at TMS so I didn't want to be a zombie from lack of sleep). The bad thing about this is that I had company come up from Houston this weekend who had heard that I made some pretty darn good Q and they were excited to try it. After this brisket, they had severe doubts about my Q?n abilities. I just decided to throw it in the trash and cut my losses. Anyway, the next day I stopped by Sam?s and bought a case of baby backs and cooked a few racks on Sunday morning. I redeemed myself quite well with those  . After those, my friends were asking me where I bought the pit, how much it costs, what was in the rub, how long and at what temp I cooked them at. Heck they even wanted to know where I bought the redi-check thermometer. It was great, and my reputation remained in tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back