How 'bout GOAT ?

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Butt, brisket, ribs, ckicks, t. breast, fish...there is a lot more out there.

How 'bout goat.

When in south Georgia years ago, I remember an old family recounting traditional goat BBQ's.
Who has experience? The Charlotte Observer ran a story on small farmers adding goat to their beef herds. They coexist very well. When up in VA last fall I read a similar story of farmers and butchers up there. Can anyone tell a tale of goat Q?

I'm waiting to hear a response to the above posts, because one of my fields is being used by a friend to pasture about 100+ ""opportunities" - Boar goats. Actually, it may be more than 100 because their numbers change pretty quickly for obvious reasons.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Now this sounds like a delicious idea. Maybe work up a curry rub. Ive only had goat in Jamaican restaraunts but it was always good stuff.

MMMmmm goat.......
When I lived in San Diego, there was a guy down in TJ who used to do Cabrito. He cooked those baby goats over a fire, low and slow. When he ran out of meat, he closed for the day.
You would go there and eat goat tacos on the cheap, made by a guy who loved what he did. that was a great eating experience.

I absolutely recommend a curry paste--homemade curry powder blended with onion, garlic, fresh ginger, Scotch bonnets, scallions, cilantro (optional) and olive oil. Use very little salt. Make it thick. Make it the day before you want to smoke.

If you can get a whole small goat (20-25 lbs) do so; have it quartered. Make many knife stabs into the meat (as you would for lamb), then coat the goat quarters generously, pressing some paste into the stabs you made; put in plasttic bags; refrigerate over night.

You can do this as a very early a.m. start or an overnight cook. Start late if you do an overnight. I like citrus with a little hickory. The forequarters will me smaller and will cook quicker. Figure 1-1.5 hrs/lb at 230-250 lid.

If you wish to baste: a blend of a few Tbls of your curry powder mixed with the dry versions of the other stuff you used above (garlic, onion, ginger) plus a little apple juice, cider vinegar, salt, and oil.

Wipe the meat off a bit before putting it in the smoker. If you're not basting, salt it; if you are basting, use a bit less salt since there's some in the baste.

If you'd like proportions of the above or an alternative, let me know.

Goat's a favorite. Rarely can I get one.

I am glad we stirred the pot with this one. Since I have not made 'homemade curry', I did a little research.

Recipe Zaar:

Homemade Curry

4 1/2 t ground coriander
2 t tumeric
1 1/2 t cumin seeds
1/2 t whole black peppercorns
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t cardamon
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1/4 t whole cloves
1/4 t ground ginger

blend 1-2 minutes until powder in blender

When i get a wild hair I'll have to search out some goat. Maybe the charlotte area contingent would want to split a goat. We might even send some down to you Kevin!

Hey, I'd come up!

Seriously, though, if you're interested, let your fingers do the walking and look for a halal butcher in your area. They should carry it or be able to get it. I know I can get it in Miami but have not done so in ages (pre-WSM) but you got me goin' now. I'm going to have to check into it. There's a woman who has a ranch about a mile from mine, affectionately known as the 'goat lady'--she has dozens all over the place. I'll have to see what she does with them.

On the curry: No doubt you noticed that they're as varied and personal as rubs are. If you ever do goat and want to do a curry, to the above you'll want to add fenugreek, bay leaf, a touch of nutmeg, and why not go all out?--some really fine saffron.

I'm going to have to find me a halal butcher and/or talk to the goat lady. Like soon.

I've smoke goat. I smoked a leg and a shoulder. I marinated the shoulder in a white wine/garlic/butter marinade. I marinated the leg in a Jamacain Jerk paste. The leg turned out better for 2 reasons. The leg was much more moist and tender than the shoulder, and I liked the Jerk paste marinade better. I smoked both for about 2 1/2 hours at 225 to an internal temp of 170. I used Kingsford with some pecan chunks.

I really enjoyed it, and the peple at my party gobbled it up, ate it all. I was afraid no one would touch it. Out of 30 people, all but one had goat. I also had other meats as back up and they were eaten too. I found the goat at the farmers market in Nashville. I'm sure if you live anywhere near a decent sized city you can find it at a good meat market or find a Halal (Muslim) butcher.

I'm gonna have to do it again real soon, and smoke more goat next time. After everyone braved a taste they went back for more!

Hi Phil
It's stronger than lamb. Sometimes you get mutton here which is not old sheep but goat. If you don't mind a gamey/strong taste you'll like it.

As for Steve's recipe, use the whole spices and dry toast in a hot cast iron skillet for a few minutes before grinding. The difference is amazing.

morgan

Whenever Ive had goat from Jamacian restaraunts its never been gamey. Dont know wether it was the preparation method or the strong heat and curry. Mind you its usually a green color but not gamey.

Back