Hot Wings Tonight on Big Z

Very nice, great color, love the "Killer Hogs" products. Your proving that there is more then one way to skin a cat! Incidentally I just came home from the store as I scored a couple of mark-down wing packages, I prefer the Wingettes, but the price was right & there on deck for tomorrow night.

Winner, winner! You’re loving the Big Z aren’t you!?
I do. Honestly my only "gripe" with it is even though it's all double wall construction and can hold heat quite well, It cold weather it struggles. Above 40 or so all good. But, below 40 it really begins to struggle to hit temps over 350. It'll get there..............eventually, but you need patience and lots of it. 350 and below even down to low teens it's a champ.
But, then I think this is an issue with all pellet burners (if the owner is being truly honest). Especially on the huge ones like this Z. There is only so much heat you can build with a small burn pot in such a large space. It's simple physics.
Which was why I asked the question in another thread about Searwood and cold temps. Again I don't mean cold to someone from say FL or CA, I mean ccccooooollllllld. Say 35 and below down to say 15 above.
Of course the smaller the oven size the better this performance would be. Since about every pellet cooker I have laid eyes on uses a very standard size burn pot. Whether it's smaller or really big.

I do. Honestly my only "gripe" with it is even though it's all double wall construction and can hold heat quite well, It cold weather it struggles. Above 40 or so all good. But, below 40 it really begins to struggle to hit temps over 350. It'll get there..............eventually, but you need patience and lots of it. 350 and below even down to low teens it's a champ.
But, then I think this is an issue with all pellet burners (if the owner is being truly honest). Especially on the huge ones like this Z. There is only so much heat you can build with a small burn pot in such a large space. It's simple physics.
Which was why I asked the question in another thread about Searwood and cold temps. Again I don't mean cold to someone from say FL or CA, I mean ccccooooollllllld. Say 35 and below down to say 15 above.
Of course the smaller the oven size the better this performance would be. Since about every pellet cooker I have laid eyes on uses a very standard size burn pot. Whether it's smaller or really big.
Once you get to over 350° in cold weather, does it then hold your temperature well? Is it just a matter of getting there in the first place?

It struggles a bit to get to 350. Not too bad though. Tolerable. But you can set it to 500 and it will not climb over 350-360. I don't believe the auger system can fee enough fuel fast enough to make it happen

Hey Larry, how well do you perform below 40? I sure as all get out don’t do as well as I do at 75! And I’m only 67!

Back