Hot Vent Tabs

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
When I have to adjust the vents on my WSM, I either have to wear gloves or use something to tap it. Does anyone have a great idea how to mod this? The top vent on my performer has a piece of molded plastic on the vent tab. That makes it very easy to use and is not hot. The only thing I have come up with is to take a piece of wood (maybe a piece of dowel) and cut to size and cut a slot allowing it to go over the tab. Then either attach with epoxy or a screw through the matal tab to hold the wood in place.

I guess that unless someone comes up with a better idea, I will design the above solution.

Any idea's?

I use a modified fire place poker with a 90* end on it to adjust the bottom vent and tap the legs on my OTG / CB, sure helps with the bending over.

This is on my mini, but works pretty well.
231DBDD0-2A51-4F91-919A-6CC04DE1F6AA-5980-0000028C00A0ECE0.jpg

Chris, quick does not always work. I burned my arm on one a few weeks ago. I am thinking that I will pick up a piece of red oak and cut it to resemble the wooden handles on some of the Weber products. Of course, that will then require me to order replacement handles for the two stock handles as well as the two handles I made out of flat metal stock. Does it ever end? And of course I am in the middle of building a heatermeter as soon as the rest of the parts arrive. By the way, were you affected by the fires? We got very little smoke in the San Fernando Valley this time. A couple of years ago the smoke from fires made it so you could hardly breath. Once I have time to build these things I will document with details and pictures. Bob

This is on my mini, but works pretty well.
231DBDD0-2A51-4F91-919A-6CC04DE1F6AA-5980-0000028C00A0ECE0.jpg

Brad, that looks great. My two questions are
Does the T Handle get hot like the tab does, and I am assuming that the "T" handle needed to be machined to look that good?
It really does look great!!

Chad - That looks awesome! :) Where did you get those handles?

Bob - The red oak will probably work out perfectly. Please show us how you did it when it's done.
Regarding the fires.
I live in Camarillo where the fires originated, but on the opposite (west) side of town.
The winds took all the smoke towards the beach, so the only thing different for me was the sight of smoke and an eerie red glow if I looked towards the south east at night.

The T handle does get fairly warm, but nothing like the vent tab does. Being further away from the vent ports, thicker metal, and having an air space around it all helps. It's nothing more than a cabinet door handle from Home Depot. They also sell oak knobs which should work out perfectly, and easily, for your needs.

On the lower ones, I just lean back and give them a nudge with the toe of my shoe.
I also have a poker like Clyde and use that when I can find it.
I hate bending over if at all possible.:wsm:

Tim

Back