honestly - is weber one touch better than Lowes knockoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
only reason i was considering a cheapy was cause im not sure if im gonna like the messing with charcoal. ive been a gasser guy for 25 years. I work lots of hours and would hate to spend the money on a weber and find out im not gonna use it.... ive been looking on craigslist and nutten seems to pop up. Lots of silvers but i would want at least the gold. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the same post you said you want a cheapy to see if you like using coal and then went on to say that you only want a gold weber and not a silver?! Why not go with a lower cost weber?

i like the idea of the ash containment on the gold. I have little ones running around and i just think it is safer.

I have 2 OTG I got from craigslist. Bought one 2 years ago for $50 and have been hooked ever since. Picked up another 3 months ago for $30. Each were less than 2 years old.

If I had to I would totally buy each of them brand new. They are awesome grills.

Hey Corey, I was the same way. I didn't see how we could find the time to grill with charcoal with our busy schedules. Once we reorganized how we went about it, and lit the chimney first, then prep, it hasn't cost us any time really. Plus the food is much better.
icon_smile.gif
Don't know where you are in Michigan, but you are welcome to try mine if you want, and then see if you like it!
icon_smile.gif

Corey,

The OTG is a very good option if you have little ones running around. That is one reason my wife and I bought the OTG. We have two sons. Our oldest is 3 and our second son is just over 6 months old
icon_smile.gif

So that was one safety factor. The other one is that we grill on our wood deck so the OTG was a very good choice for that reason too.

Brian

A Weber 1-touch Gold is around $130-150. How much is the cheap knock off?

One thing you might do is see if the two grills are about the same size, and if they are, see if one weighs significantly more than the other. One of them might use thicker steel and would weigh more. (Probably the Weber) The thicker steel will probably last longer and might work better.

Also, Lowes has a website and they have reviews for the products on it. I looked at the MasterBuilt grill, and it looks like there are more people finding missing parts than there should be; just something to be aware of. I don't know if that's the brand you were looking at.

I have to say, I used a cheap Thermos brand (or Kingsford, I don't really recall which) charcoal grill. It was at my nephews house, was old and falling apart, but I liked the way it cooked better than my Weber. I liked the oblong shape better, I liked the flip-up lid better, and I liked being able to raise or lower the charcoal better. The unit wasn't built as well and won't last as long as a Weber, but they are cheap and you can replace them every few years, so who cares if it doesn't last 20 years?

If you are not sure you want to use charcoal, get an inexpensive charcoal grill and try it for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back