Homemade Sriracha

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
I grow a lot of different hot chiles, but normally the usual suspects...jalapeno, serrano, cayenne, and banana. This year, wandering through a new greenhouse here I found several different varieties of Oriental chiles. I planted a few different ones, and the Thai "Super Chili" has been the first to mature. They're a bit thicker fleshed than a cayenne, but not as thick fleshed as a jalapeno. I found a recipe for homemade sriracha sauce that matched up pretty well with stuff I had on hand and with the amount of peppers I got in my first picking. It turned out fantastic. If you're looking for something to do with a bunch of hot chiles, I would highly recommend this: http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/sriracha-recipe-chili-garlic-hot-sauce/

I used about twice the garlic the recipe called for, and used palm sugar instead of regular sugar. I also ran it through the strainer attachment of my KitchenAid mixer instead of blending. The resulting sauce is tasty and seriously hot. It isn't like a lot of ghost pepper sauces, where there's nothing but extreme heat. This is hot, but with flavor, too.

Back