Homemade smoker jacket

Mark R-S

TVWBB Fan
Recently I posted a topic asking about the sliver smoker jacket because I was thinking about making something similar:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...80069052/m/331104682

Last week I bought some aluminized fiberglass and nomex thread and took it to a dress maker, along with the original Weber cover for them to use as a pattern. They didn't seem too taken aback by my request, but when I went to collect it they took it from under the counter - They didn't hang it on show with all the dresses
icon_smile.gif

Here's a picture of my proud WSM modelling it's new jacket (or is it a dress):

DSCF4564.JPG

It isn't quite finished: I've got some 15mm grommits which I need to add for ventilation around the top vent, and (sticking with dress making parlance) I need to have the hem turned up.

The material is heat resistant to 550C (1000F), and seem pretty similar to that used for the original silver smoker jacket.

We've already had our first snow, so next weekend I'll give it it's first run to see how it performs.

-Mark.

The cost was:

Fabric: 14 Euros
Nomex thread: 2 Euros
Grommits: 2 Euros (I actually already had these)
Dress makers' fee: 15 Euros

So the materials cost 18 Euros (including 22% tax). It would have been very simple to sew together, but I'm not any good with a sewing machine and neither's my wife, so I paid a dress maker to do it.

I've got some fabric and thread left over, so I'm going to make some fireproof grill gloves - Then I'll throw away my tongs
icon_smile.gif

-Mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark R-S:
The cost was:

Fabric: 14 Euros
Nomex thread: 2 Euros
Grommits: 2 Euros (I actually already had these)
Dress makers' fee: 15 Euros

So the materials cost 18 Euros (including 22% tax). It would have been very simple to sew together, but I'm not any good with a sewing machine and neither's my wife, so I paid a dress maker to do it.

I've got some fabric and thread left over, so I'm going to make some fireproof grill gloves - Then I'll throw away my tongs
icon_smile.gif

-Mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That comes to about $48, if I calculated right. Less than half the BBQ Guru price (add shipping to that). Good deal!!

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That comes to about $48, if I calculated right. Less than half the BBQ Guru price (add shipping to that). Good deal!!

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I'm living I'm Finland at the moment the BBQ Guru would have become quite expensive - I would have had to pay quite a bit for shipping, plus around 30% import taxes, so it could have easily come to $150.

-Mark.

Hi,

looks great!

Where did you get the fabric and the thread? It's not snowing yet in southern Finland but probably will be in few days, so this might be something I'd like to do also.

I've smoked successfully when it's freezing, but it does use a lot more charcoal than normal temperatures.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tuomo Pursiainen:
Hi,

looks great!

Where did you get the fabric and the thread? It's not snowing yet in southern Finland but probably will be in few days, so this might be something I'd like to do also.

I've smoked successfully when it's freezing, but it does use a lot more charcoal than normal temperatures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is where I got the materials:

Fabric
Nomex thread

They sell all sorts of interesting fabrics for outdoor clothing.

-Mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:
That looks awesome......great job!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! It looks a bit cosmic
icon_smile.gif

-Mark.

I'm going to use the jacket for the first time tomorrow. I just added 3 grommets to the top of the jacket, aligned with three holes of the top vent so I'll still be able to measure temperature with a probe thermometer throught the top vent.

DSCF4589.JPG

-Mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm going to use the jacket for the first time tomorrow. I just added 3 grommets to the top of the jacket, aligned with three holes of the top vent so I'll still be able to measure temperature with a probe thermometer throught the top vent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mark

Did you try your jacket? How was it? I'm planning to do similar jacket for myself. It's getting cold here in west coast very soon
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you try your jacket? How was it? I'm planning to do similar jacket for myself. It's getting cold here in west coast very soon
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used the jacket a couple of times and I've been very happy with it. The first time I used it it was around 0 degrees and a little windy out, but it was very easy to maintain temperature, and it only used about 2.5kgs of CityMarket Kokki charcoal on a 10 hour cook.

-Mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark R-S:
I've used the jacket a couple of times and I've been very happy with it. The first time I used it it was around 0 degrees and a little windy out, but it was very easy to maintain temperature, and it only used about 2.5kgs of CityMarket Kokki charcoal on a 10 hour cook.

Very impressive! I wonder what kind of results you'd get with Weber briquettes... I tried the Kokki-stuff once, and have to say it was quite bad
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Very impressive! I wonder what kind of results you'd get with Weber briquettes... I tried the Kokki-stuff once, and have to say it was quite bad
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was quite surprised by the Kokki briquettes - They're very crumbly, and don't burn nearly as hot as Weber Premium Briquettes but with a charcoal grate mod I found that they were useable. I only used the Kokki stuff because I'd run out of Weber Premium Briquettes, but one of the local K-Rauta shops very kindly ordered me a pallet of Weber, so from now on I'll use that
icon_smile.gif

Let me know how it goes with your jacket.

-Mark.

I was quite surprised by the Kokki briquettes - They're very crumbly, and don't burn nearly as hot as Weber Premium Briquettes but with a charcoal grate mod I found that they were useable. I only used the Kokki stuff because I'd run out of Weber Premium Briquettes, but one of the local K-Rauta shops very kindly ordered me a pallet of Weber, so from now on I'll use that
icon_smile.gif

Let me know how it goes with your jacket.

Did you get a good price when buying a whole pellet? I bought 100kg this summer and only got 5% off. Pellet is something like 200-300kg?

I use exclusively Weber stuff, the price is good for the quality.

My jacket project is on my ToDo-list, but not on the top-10 at the moment
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you get a good price when buying a whole pellet? I bought 100kg this summer and only got 5% off. Pellet is something like 200-300kg?

I use exclusively Weber stuff, the price is good for the quality.

My jacket project is on my ToDo-list, but not on the top-10 at the moment </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the smoker jacket will start creeping up in priority as it gets colder
icon_smile.gif

I'm usually a real haggler, but this time I didn't haggle at all because the place where I buy my charcoal has the lowest prices I've seen anyway, plus I was just happy to get Weber charcoal no matter what the cost. A whole pallet is over 700kgs, and that would have lasted me quite a while, so it's not all just for me.

-Mark.

Back