Homemade chili powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi all. Anybody out there ever make homemade chili powder?

I mentioned I was nearly out of chili powder last weekend and a well intentioned relative just bought me..... 15 packages of different varieties of dried chili peppers.

I know there's got to be more to it than just pulverizing dried chilis but haven't been able to find a recipe.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Rob,
Alton Brown made some on an episode of Good Eats that I saw recently. Might go to the FoodTV site and check his out. It looked pretty good to me. Hope this helps.

Wayne

Hey thanks guys. This looks like it ought to work fine. I'll let you know how it turns out.

You think there's any chance this recipe calls for fresh and not dried chilis?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
Hey thanks guys. This looks like it ought to work fine. I'll let you know how it turns out.

You think there's any chance this recipe calls for fresh and not dried chilis? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No chance.

I make various blends often. You need dried.

ROB,

Once you finish making it...you should ship some of it my way
icon_smile.gif
LOL

Well, dried chiles were fresh once. So if you have fresh chiles now, you can make it eventually....!

Me, I'm going to try to make some chipotles out of my red jalapenos, and I'm gonna take my other hot peppers and make a hot sauce out of 'em.

Susan,

I'd love to hear your recipe for hot sauce. I have been wanting to make some and can it for future use but haven't a clue how to start.

Rob,
I was going to direct you to the "Good Eats" eppisode, but I see others already have. So, "Good Luck". It worked for AB.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
... and I'm gonna take my other hot peppers and make a hot sauce out of 'em. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe when you do we can trade. Something ravaged my Tabascos but I'll start more post hurricane season. I do have a bunch of ripe jals, Scotch bonnets, and cherries though, and some dried anchos and pasillas. I've made a few straight sauces that are still 'curing' thus far, and I need to make more.

One time (years ago) I made a 'traditional' Tabasco sauce (Tabascos mashed with salt and packed into an oak barrel and aged 3 years [though I aged mine just two]), that came out fairly good. The barrel has long gone and I need to find another to try again.

Hey Rob, If it turns out good you may want to mail some of it to Northport for me to try.
icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck with it!

Nick P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back