Hole in the ground firepit barbecuing

Calle

A buddy of mine is getting married. He didn't want the regular strip joint type stag, and instead asked us guys to have something at a cottage. Well, turns out that the place has a firepit of the hole in the ground type, as well as a gas grill. Of course, I'm more excited about the hole than the grill. But I don't know how to cook with that type of pit.

Have any of you tried it? What would be good to cook? Ribs would be ideal so I wouldn't have to go there the night before, and it can still feed a lot of people. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How deep is the hole? You can do everything on it, porrk shoulders, brisket ribs.

You'll want a 2-3 foot deep hole. Fill it with lit coals, put your grates on top of that, put your meats on the grate. Add a layer of coals each hour. You can cover your meat with foil pan to speed cooking.

Is there a way of maintaining a hole-in-the-ground or cinder block type firepit? I'd like to put a permanent one on my property for cooking whole hogs but I'm thinking the pit area would get pretty nasty after a couple of cooks. Just wonderin' ....

Rick

Clam bake sounds interesting, but there will probably be no seaweed around.

My only concern is that if I just put the meat on a grate on top of the pit, won't it get "polluted" by things blowing around?

I've done the traditional luau thing twice. It's a lot of trouble and committment. It's fun, but phew, dear lord, a lot of work. I think I'll start a new topic and post my luau experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
Is there a way of maintaining a hole-in-the-ground or cinder block type firepit? I'd like to put a permanent one on my property for cooking whole hogs but I'm thinking the pit area would get pretty nasty after a couple of cooks. Just wonderin' ....

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. And it's pretty easy: Sheet aluminum on the ground inside the pit.

If you want to make it easier still put a lip on the sheet and make the pit so that at one end the lowest blocks can be removed (this necessitates building a frame of sorts for the blocks so the frame holds the blocks above; seen it done but haven't myself) and the sheet slid out for cleaning.

I've done the lip thing. After all cools at some point post cook I'd use whatever was available to scoop up the grease as much as possible, hot water and Dawn to dissolve the rest, and a shop-vac to vac that up.

I'd thought (after the fact) of both making the lip wider and of putting the sheet aluminum in a stiff aluminum frame using angle aluminum and aluminum strips (like you see at Home Depot in the angle iron bin) and then putting holes in the lip at each corner so that hooks (at the end of rope? at the end of rods?) could be placed in the holes. Then, with me on one end and a partner on the other, the sheet 'floor' could be lifted out all at once, scraped and cleaned. That, to me, seemed easier than the frame-one-end thing but I never got to do it and now don't have the pit.

Back