Holding temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian A

Fist day with my weber smoker. Using a waterpan, put a chimney full of hot coals in, Cannot get the temp to go over 200. When I first put coals in it goes up, but will not stay up. Using a thermometer with about a 4" prong stuck down the top vent hole. A friend of mine says he hardly ever has to add coals. Been adding a full chimney about every hour or 1.5. I also get smoke coming out where the top hits the middle.
Any ideas?
Brian

Water pan is sitting on the flanges. Just went out 15 min after adding a full chimney and it is barely 200. the door has little gaps on both sides at the top, but I doubt that is the problem.

Have all the vents wide open except top which is 3/4 closed

Make sure that your top vent is fully open. The only time I even remotely close my top vent is to bring my temps down from a temperature spike.

I believe you need to start with more than one chimney of lit. Read Chris' firing up section on the main page. I have no doubt if you put in a full Weber chimney of unlit, add a full chimney of lit and wait for it to all gray over, your problem will be getting the temp down - which you can do with some effort.

Good luck.

Paul

Brian
You are asking one chimney of coals to heat the water and the pit to a temp over 200? in 15 mins
won't happen.
Go to this section of the site and decide what fireup method you want to use
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup1.html

Be patient 15 min is not long enough period of time to get a pit up to temp, water and meat will keep the pit temps down but that's ok, you are making smokering during this time.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back