Holding Cooked Meat

Doug C

I have a small dilema. I started a 10 lb. brisket and two 4 lb. pork butts on my WSM last night, and it is 7:45 am and I am at about 170 degrees in all of the meat. I do not need the meat until about 5:00 pm. I am now trying to lower the temps in the wsm to slow it down a bit. I had hoped to have it ready for between noon and 1:00 so I could put it in a cooler and hold it until it was needed. Now my questions; is it okay to slow the cook down a bit? Can I take it off at say 180 degrees and hold it in the cooler for a while and then put it back on for a couple of hours and take it to 190 -195 for 5:00 pm? Or will it be okay in the cooler for say 6 hours? Sorry about all of the questions, but I do not want to wreck the meat. Thanks for your help!

Don't slow the cook much. (At what temp are you cooking now?) You can end up prolonging the cook too much and drying the brisket out.

You can pre-heat the cooler by dumping very hot water in it; drain when you need it. Run a few towels through your clothes dryer to heat them and pack them into the cooler under, over and around your meat. It should hold 6 hours. Alternatively, and what I have done many times, is to double wrap the meats, separately of course, in HD foil and return them to the cooker. Then, shut down all vents, lid vent included, and let the cooker die out slowly. If it is particularly cool outside--or rainy--go the cooler route.

I am presently running at 200 degrees at the vent. I was cooking at 250 for the most part. I like the pre-heating the cooler thing. The meat is still around the 170 mark, so I think if I go back to 250 and use the pre-heated cooler I should make it. Thanks!

I use the GE electric oven instead of a cooler. I wrap the meat in heavy duty foil, set the GE to 140* and put the wrapped meat in covered with dish towels. The last cook I did the meat was in the GE for almost 7 hours because I over estimated when it would all be done so I had to hold it until event time. 140* kept the meat hot without cooking it to dryness. The brisket was tender and juicy and the butts pulled very easily - the bone slipped right out! I am going to get a couple more of these - they are great!

Back