Holding BRITU question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My plan today is for the eight slabs of baby back ribs to be ready two hours before serving to allow for longer-than-expected cooking time. I intend to wrap them in foil and hold in a 175 degree oven until ready to serve.

1. Should I wrap each slab in foil separately?

2. When do I brush on the sauce? Before wrapping in foil or just before serving?

Any other suggestions?

I may be wrong. But I believe ribs is one meat they say is much better right off of the smoker. I don't know if they have enough mass to hold hot for a couple hours if needed.

Maybe someone else can help out more.
Also if you think your getting pressed for time. You could always foil them on the smoker after a while. I think they'll get done faster that way and they'll be more tender too.

I'd sure like to hear from the experts about whether it's OK to hold baby back ribs in foil for a cuople of hours, or whether I should aim for them to finish "on time" for serving with no holding.

If holding in foil is not good for baby backs, how about "serving" them (sauced and cut) into a heated chafing dish and hold them there?

I just cooked 10 racks of baby backs yesterday in my 2 WSM's. I pulled them at 165 about 3 hours in to the cook (at 250 dome temp with water pan). At the time I pulled them they needed just a tiny bit more cooking. I sauced them lightly, then stacked 3 racks on top of each other and foiled them, and put them in my "warming" cooler. My guests arrived a bit later than I expected so the ribs were in the cooler for about 3 hours (1 to 2 hours would have been better for baby backs; spares can take 3 hours without much loss of texture, IMO.) All the guests liked them, of course, but I found them a bit too tender! If I were judging them in competition, I would have scored them a 7 to 8 for texture. My guests all thought they were 9s! But heck, they don't know what they're supposed to like!!!

>I pulled them at 165

How can you put a probe in baby backs to get a good temperature reading? It looks to me that there aren't any large-enough pieces of meat to properly get a temp reading inside.

Dennis,
No, you were not wrong. Ribs are always best "hot off the grill, IMO. It?s just harder to have them ready right at a predetermined time.
Mick,
Insert a Polder type temperature probe horizontally into a thicker section of the rib meat. It is always tricky, but try to be sure the probe penetrates just to the center of the thick meaty part (not into a fat area). In other words, the point of the probe should reach only to the middle depth of the meat.

I use to think a inch of the probe needed to be inserted, but I think only the tip does the actual reading. Inserting more length helps hold it in place, but I find when horizontally inserted, it can lie flat and secure with only a 1/2 inch or less inserted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back