Holding a Standing Rib Roast - Method + Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
We were very pleased with the standing rib roast I cooked today.

I took it off the WSM at 120°F internal, wrapped in plastic wrap, then in foil. I inserted a Nu-Temp probe into the center of the meat right through the foil and put the meat into a 115°F oven. After 45 minutes in the oven it was up to 139°F and after 1 hour it was up to 141°F (perfect for rare to medium-rare).

After the first hour in the oven I raised the temperature from 115 to 120°F and the roast held at 141°F until I served it, a total of 2 3/4 hours after first taking it off the WSM. It was beautiful and I was pleased that I could hold the meat at the desired temp for almost 3 hours without affecting its texture, color, or flavor.

By the time I cut the meat off the bones, sliced it, and served it though, it wasn’t as hot as I’d like -- partially my fault because I forgot to pre-heat the plates. Duh! Champagne amnesia.

Question: Could I have used a higher oven temperature, say something closer to 140°F after the meat got to its desired temperature of 140°F?

Rita

P.S. - Here’s wishing all of you a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year. And may you turn out your best barbecue ever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... and put the meat into a 115°F oven. After 45 minutes in the oven it was up to 139°F and after 1 hour it was up to 141°F... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> gee, that's amazing. I would not have thought your meat could get higher than the oven temp. Must be due to foil? Conduct heat and insulate?

Anyway, sorry I don't know the answer to your question but in addition to the hot plates, two things come to mind: serve it buffet style (carve individually for your guests with their plate in hand) and au jus. Otherwise, I fear that bumping up the oven temp won't help you keep your beef warm while you slice & serve but you might risk overcooking it.

Shawn, I'd attribute the first 10 degrees of the temperature rise to the natural rise in temperature during the normal resting period, which would take it from 120 to 130.

I'm assuming that by putting the foiled roast to rest in a warm oven instead of resting it at cooler room temps or in a warmed ice chest, it didn't cool off as fast and just kept on cooking a little longer under its own retained heat, which might explain the last 10 degrees that took it up to 140.

I would agree.
As far as <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Could I have used a higher oven temperature, say something closer to 140°F after the meat got to its desired temperature of 140°F? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, you could. Oven temps higher than 150 will cause the meat to continue cooking, albeit slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back