HM v4.0 WiFi setup

Yes, all you need to do is after #5

Type "192.168.1.1" into IE's address box.

if you have the RPI and the HT connected together you should get a webpage for the router function. Also, you have to have the same WIFI dongle thats in the parts list so that wifi networking tab is available.

click on the wifi tab and it should have a button that lets you look for available wifi connection, click on that button. It should find your main wifi router that you use for internet. you should be able to click on it and it will also set up the wifi connection automantically. You don't need to use WinSCP. WinSCP would not work anyways if you dont have the correct wifi usb adapter plugged into the rPI, as I had found out when I tried the faster WIFI adapter.

ok, might have wrong usb adapter, not seeing anything.......will try another, Thanks

Yeah it is actually the post-install script for LinkMeter that does the flash. The first boot executes the postinstall scripts for all installed packages, and then deletes the scripts as it does them. This is why the first boot takes slightly longer than subsequent boots.

Yeah if you've got a pi, an sd card, and your wireless adapter you can fire it up and play with the web interface all you want without any detrimental effect. Note that when you start it up with the heatermeter board for the first time, you'll need to manually flash the AVR from the "avr firmware" page or just by running the 'avrupdate' command from a telnet/ssh session.

OK I wrote the card, stuck it in the rPi...plugged in an ethernet cable from my lan, it loaded up as far as I can tell, we have red, green, green, and a yellow LED lit on the rPi. But if I ping 192.168.1.1 I get nothing in reply. I only have a 3.5: monitor handy here at the desk...but without lan plugged in the last line of text looks to be something about a USB HID core driver. Plug lan in it says etho link up 100mps full duplex.

I'm running ubuntu if that matters

Hmm opened the console on the pi, cannot ping, network unreachable. Do "route" from console and it says destination is 192.168.1.0, my router is 192.168.0.1.

Last edited:
I did not change this computer to 198.160.0.2 when I was trying it over my wired lan, I did change it, then plugged the Pi right to this computer, no joy. Can I do it over the network or must it be plugged in directly ?? The Pi did not show up in my router's table of clients when plugged in....well not as 192.168.0.1 anyway.

Oh heck, lets have another try, maybe I misread a number

Last edited:
Looking at the web interface it said the wifi was setup right, will the adapter flash blue or glow solid blue when it is connected ? Right now it is flashing blue. I have another linux box I can setup with the proper IP address, and then look at a couple things at once.

Last edited:
It flashes blue.

dave

Looking at the web interface it said the wifi was setup right, will the adapter flash blue or glow solid blue when it is connected ? Right now it is flashing blue. I have another linux box I can setup with the proper IP address, and then look at a couple things at once.

OK cool, got my wifi up and working on just the bare rPi with a little help from Bryan and Dave, thanks guys :). I was able to do it all with the web interface, did not need to edit any files. I run Ubuntu on this desktop so I could change the computer IP temporarily by using this command entered into terminal.

"sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Then I was able to pull up the web interface in google chrome at 192.168.1.1...do what needed done, then disconnect wired ethernet, then reconnect...and then could connect to the rPi using the IP that I could see in my wireless routers table of clients.

It is easier to find in your routers table if you give it a name, go to "network" then "interfaces"...then "edit" the wireless connection....then put in a name where it says "Hostname to send when requesting DHCP".

Bill

Last edited:

Back