HM 4.3 With Oscillating Thermocouple Temperatures Over a 30F Range

Mache

TVWBB Fan
Just assembled my HeaterMeter 4.3 and I have a problem with wildly changing (about a 30F range) Probe 0 (Pit) thermocouple temperatures. The Maverick thermistor I have on Probe 1 seems to operate just fine. I have an Auber 1 x K Type Thermocouple w/ alligator clip, Smoker, High Precision (TC-K6A) on Probe 0 (the pit temperature) and have set it to Thermocouple, mV/C: 5, and Offset: 0. The temperature reading on both the LCD display and the Web status page swings wildly from 77F (around the current ambient temperature) up to 108F with random temperatures in between. I checked all the soldering and part placement and do not see a problem. Any ideas?

Thanks Bryan, for now just running Ethernet so WiFi should not be an issue, but I will check. I did unravel the thermocouple from its factory delivered cable tied loop and the range of the temperature oscillation has halved from 30F to 15F so I am on to something. Will study Probe Noise thread in more detail today.

Thermocouple temperatures (Probe 0) are still oscillating around a range of 25F. Not using WiFi just using Ethernet. Not seeing the probe noise icon appear in yellow on the dash and pressing N does not seem to make it appear. Attached is a few minutes of thermocouple Probe 0 readings. Swapping 12 volt DC power supply did not change the symptoms. Do you think I have noise on the AC outlet and should change electrical outlets? Any other suggestions to try?

Attachments

• 20210620_023821.png
    20210620_023821.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 2
Success!! RTFM on me.

I was using Ethernet for LAN connectivity and switched to 5Ghz WiFi. Magically all the thermocouple noise disappeared. I guess for RPI 3B+, HM 4.3, you cannot use Ethernet and expect the Auber 1 x K Type Thermocouple w/ alligator clip, Smoker, High Precision (TC-K6A), or possibly any other K thermocouple, to work.

Thank you Bryan.

Attachments

• 20210620_031702.png
    20210620_031702.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 4
Wow that is a new one for me, I'm going to have to try the Ethernet on one of my test rigs here to see the results for myself. That's pretty crazy that wired ethernet would cause an issue. That would sound like it is messing up the actual power on the board and not just a wireless energy transfer like is occurring with the 2.4GHz wifi (which can happen even when the two boards run from their own separate power supplies).

I'll have to experiment some-- I don't think I've tried to use the Ethernet since the initial testing of it like 6 or 7 years ago. Nice work figuring it out though!

Back