High temp chuck roll questions

J Reyes

TVWBB Pro
Hello all, I haven't posted or cooked in the WSM for a while. For a graduation party on Saturday, I have the WSM and two standard Weber kettles at my disposal.

Does anyone have any experience with a chuck roll high temp cook? Do they need a lower slower temp to render the fat or can I go with higher temps like a less marbled brisket?

Here's the setting:

I need to feed 40-50 people.

I thought I'd buy about a 20 lb chuck roll and cut it in half for the WSM (one 10 lb+- piece on each grill) and chicken leg quarters in the two Weber kettles (with folied potatoes at bottom of the kettles). We have other sides planned (beans, grilled veggies, etc.).

I do have experience with a chuck roast and foiling at 160. I've cooked these at around 260 degrees for around 1 hour 40 minutes per pound.

I've done a brisket or two at high temps and foiled, but a chuck roll has much higher fat content compared to a brisket and what I'm not sure of is the whole "more fat needs lower and slower cook time to render fat" issues.

Food serving time is around 4pm Saturday, with guests ariving at 3pm. I'd like to target the meat to be finished at about 2pm (and into a cooler) so I can mingle with guests and/or cook the veggies.

I'd prefer not to cook overnight, thus would prefer to start at around 7am at a 300+- degree cook temps. Any thoughts are appreciated.

John

John, I recently read your post about cooking chuck. You recommended using onion in the foil. I used onion and garlic in foil-worked like a charm-thanks.

Back