High Humidity Overnighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
Here we go. Gonna smoke a 7 1/2lb. butt tonight in 85% + humidity. Took me two tries to get the chimney to light but it's burning now. Meat is rubbed and ready. Might throw on some ribs in the morning if I just "happen" to go by the butcher shop.

I went by Home Depot earlier to try to get a Brinkman charcoal bowl. No Luck. Does anybody know if Lowes or Wal-Mart sells them. The other weird thing is I found a replacement lower grate but they didn't have the upper replacement. I thought it would be the more popular since it fits the kettle.

Ken, are you using the newspaper method to light the chimney? If so, try using the weber lighter cubes. They are non-toxic and fairly cheap...works everytime!

I gots me a 7.5lb butt and a 10lb brisket packer on right now. Good luck with your stuff!!

Ken, The top grate is the same one used for the 18 1/2" kettle. Wal Mart does carry the Brinkman Charcoal Bowl.Good luck with your smoke. Bryan

Ace hardware has the brinkman water pans, I've yet to see Lowe's or Home Depot carry them. Also grab some of the weber starter cubes--they burn for 7 - 10 minutes, I use two under my chimney and rotate it about half way through to get my coals lit. Works so much better than newspaper and with no paper ash to boot. Thanks to all who recommended those on this site.

I used to find the Brinkmann pans every where I looked. Now , I can not find them anywhere in town. If you find yourself in the same problem you can get them here
I have found that I like the sand in the Weber pan. But , you need to try it all yourself and see what works best for you.

Have fun ,
Rick

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pick up some of the starter cubes when I run across them.

So far so good with the smoke. Had the "usual" temp spike when the water bowl dried up. My 1990 model WSM is starting to show it's age. At 4am the latch on the door decided to stick in the latched position. After I got it loose and refilled the water pan things quieted down pretty quick. I have flipped, rotated and spritzed twice. Smoker is at 250, meat is at 174 and climbing after 9 hours. Gonna let it be for the duration.

"We're burning daylight"........John Wayne

So you spritz rather than mop, eh? I spritz briskets, mop butts. I think the only butt I didn't mop was my jerk marinade experiment (not nearly flavorful as the regular pork butts---prolly needed salt)

Anthony, I made a run up to Barbecues Galore north of Atlanta. They had the Brinkman pan there, although it was more like $9. I also picked up some aaple and pecan chunks and a cover for the WSM.

Susan, yeah I spritz the butts with apple juice. Next one I do I am thinking about mixing up some sauce and mopping.

13 hours and the smoker is holding a steady 250 and meat is at 194. I'm about to take it off and rest it in foil for an hour. Looks pretty good right now. The bone looks like it will probably fall out when I pick it up.

Keith,

I'm in Snellville, "Where everybody's somebody". Worked in Covington for about 13 years and lived in Conyers for 7 or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken McCrary:
Snellville, "Where everybody's somebody". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must be nobody (cuz "Nobody's perfect"). (groan). Will have to keep in mind if you see any specials in the area. I'm not finding much in the local area in parts (you know, like everyone else is running down to Academy Sports for pans). Are you close to Bass Pro? And, if so, do they have many parts/accessories?

I get up to Bass Pro every now and then. They don't have to much in the way of parts. They have some cooking accessories etc.. The best place I found so far is Barbecues Galore off of Steve Reynolds Blvd south of the Gwinnett Mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back