High heat BUTT???

Jay - sure I have, actually tried running the temperature up to about 325 or so. Take it to about 190, losely wrap and keep warm. Makes great slices, AND has an unadulterated pork flavor. 190 is typically higher than you would take a butt to get slices by conventional wisdom, but since your cooking at higher temperatures, it doesn't stay in the "breakdown" stage as long, and still holds together. I've never done them at that high of heat without the intention to slice. Might not pull the same as low and slow, but you could always chop.

Jay, Have done the high and fast cook with butts. Was not pleased with the flavor. It was ok. Just not as good as the low and slow JMHO. Now brisket is a whole different story.

Yeah it's not uncommmon for some people to cook Butts at a higher temp...I've had a chance to eat at Lexington BBQ once was was able to chat with the Pit-Master there after I finished eating...He told me they cook their whole-shoulders between 285-300..And that was some good "Q"!!!! I've even done Butts at higher temps, to me it wasn't as smoky and didn't have that tasty "bark" like slow and low, but still good!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've had pretty good results cooking speedy butts. I inject them, take them to 160ish (look for nice color), double wrap in foil, take to 200, remove and let rest under a towel or two or in an empty microwave (not in the cooler) for a couple of hours, then pull. You give up any crunchieness to the bark but once you pull, sauce and mix up the meat, it don't stay crispy anyway.

I just did my first butt and there was nothing I could do to keep my temp under 300. It went 12 hours above 300 and my water pan dried up. The result: awesome butt. The bottom was a bit on the cripsy side but still delicious. The temp was around 215F when I tested the meat. I tried to pull it off and it fell to pieces on the grate. It was still very moist, some pieces were a bit on the dry side, but it shredded just fine. Everyone who's tried it has loved it, including me and the wife. I know what my problems were and I'll do it differently next time but this was one tasty mistake I'll tell you that!
icon_biggrin.gif
I get the feeling that all that fat in the butt keeps this cut very forgiving. My $0.02.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Myron Mixon of Jack's Old South at a competition in Winter Haven, FL in February.

Myron has perfected this method of BBQ and I've tried it myself. Butts cooked at 350* will be ready to foil in approximately 3.5 hours (160*) and will be done in another 1.5 hours if you foil them.

I don't notice any appreciable difference in butts done quick vs butts done low and slow. Some folks say the texture is different. I can't tell, and the folks I serve my BBQ to don't notice the difference.

Obviously the judges in the Florida BBQ Assn don't see much difference either, since Jack's Old South is current in 3rd place in Team of the Year standings, despite not participating in all the competitions.

That said, I'm still rootin' for Rub of Swamp Boys to win it all!!!

Well I'm going to give the higher heat butt cook a try in a few weeks. I would love to be able to start at a reasonable hour in the a.m. and finish in time to serve for dinner. I just hope I can still get that wonderful rendering of fat and break down of the other stuff as I have gotten over the last many years with the 250 lid cooks. Sounds too good to be true - but I sure hope it's not.

Paul

Paul, I would suggest there is a difference...a small one. The meat renders fully when cooked slow. And it absorbs a maximum amount of smoke. You will get a good result with higher temps but there are very slight differences in texture. I am not talking a huge difference but a difference none the less. It is similar to cooking with water the whole cook and cooking with a piedmont pan and no water. Subtle differences. There are so many factors effecting the final product, I wonder how much it matters.

I have said many times that I prefer slow cooked butts over the last year or 2 but I have a high heat method that works well for me when I am in a hurry. I let it smoke "fairly strong smoke" for 2 or 3 hours, wrap up with foil and poke a drainage hole in the bottom and put it back in the smoker until the meat hits in the 175ish area, then unfoil, sprinkle more rub on top, and finish in the smoker. I do not like when the bark looks black and that is one of the downfalls of sugar and high heat. Just my opinion but this helps keep the meat a nice color in the end. Give that a try sometime.

Back