High heat brisket with sand in water pan?

I'm doing one today with just foil on the pan. I thought with the HH you are suposed to leave it empty. Vince

I just decided to leave it in and everything went fine, sort of . . .

So I put my two 7 lb brisket flats on with the sand in the water pan. Smoked them until they were each around 160 (2.5 hours) then pulled them off and placed them in disposable aluminum pans, added a little liquid and sealed them up with foil.

At this point I thought, well, now I can just remove the water pan altogether since nothing will be dripping on the coals. This was my mistake. The brisket on the top came out perfect, but the one on the bottom was simply exposed to too much direct heat and burned the bottom and evaporated all the liquid. I had to cut the brisket out of the pan, losing the entire fat cap. There was also alot of trimming needed to get rid of the edges which were pretty crispy (read: carbonized).

So, now I know why you leave it in there. The sand didn't really make any particular difference. I'm guessing I burned through a little more fuel due to the sand, but it was no problem. I was simply too lazy to remove the sand :-)

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by William Schmitz:
This was my mistake. The brisket on the top came out perfect, but the one on the bottom was simply exposed to too much direct heat and burned the bottom and evaporated all the liquid. I had to cut the brisket out of the pan, losing the entire fat cap. There was also alot of trimming needed to get rid of the edges which were pretty crispy (read: carbonized).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, no good can come from taking out the water pan, and trying to braise something for 2 hrs or so in a foil pan directly above the hot coals. It's ok if you're grilling, but...
Been there done that on a brisket myself.
icon_mad.gif
Welcome to the club.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back