High-heat brisket with Auber on WSM

I have seen several threads on high-heat cooks using the WSM. I also have seen that the Auber ATC was not suitable for a high-heat cook, because the "standard" fan couldn't blow enough air to keep the temp above 300*.

Today I did a high-temp cook using the Auber. I started with a 22" full ring of unlit blue K, pulled about 1/3 of a chimney and lit it, then put it back in the center of the ring.

I put the meat on and opened all the vents. When the temp was 340 or so I closed the two vents to about 1/2. The temp started to drop, so I hooked up the Auber, set target to 335 and let it do its thing.

This actually worked well. The Auber held the temp and I foiled the brisket when it hit 160, about 3 hours. It went another 2 hours and I pulled and let it rest for 30 minutes foiled on the counter. In only 6 hours total I had a very moist, tender packer brisket, and the Auber did the work of holding the high temp.

James, why not just use the ATC from start to finish and let it do what you paid for.
I understand that getting to a HH temp you may need to pump in additional air to get to initial temps. Why not let it run, vents open to 300F, close the vents per ATC instruction and walk away.
To be honest, I don't use my Stoker for HH as I haven't been able to master a Minion style cook for those kinds of temps. I just fill the ring to what I think I'll need and dump a lot of lit on top. Given the shorter cooks times I haven't had any issue with overshoots.
I just figure, you paid for it, use it as required.

JDH

James, I guess I should have tried that. I have read that the Auber smaller CFM fan (which I have) is good up to 300* on a 22 WSM but that it didn't have the airflow to go higher than that. That's why I messed with the vents.

I'll try just the Auber next time and see if it can keep the temps up. I have toyed with getting the larger fan for the Auber, and I am even more serious about getting it since the high-heat briskey turned out so good.

So do you feel the 25 CFM fan would be the way to go for the 22" bullet?

I'm thinking of getting one and setting it up on my Bandera offset.

was messing around with same thing i couldnt get a 10cfm to pump enough air to get it up to 325-350 lid temp. like you said i probably wont use it for HH cooks anyway. I did a back to back cook with and without just to see if the atc alone could get me to HH temps.
I really like the temp controller for longer cooking times. but just like alot of people here say. the more you cook without one and get to know your cooker shorts cooks aren't worth the time to clean the probes. IMO I just wanted to post my results for a back to back comparison.

Back