High heat brisket - flat ONLY - questions

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Okay, boys and girls, I've been playing with the high heat brisket, and have been having good luck with packers in 4 - 4.5 hours. Now, though, I have a beautiful 8 lb flat that I'd like to try. I've been searching around the site but so far have only found reports on packers. Is anyone here doing big flats by this method? Are you seeing any appreciable differences between packers and flats in the turbo mode?

Just thought I'd check the collective intelligence before I spoil this pretty choice CAB flat.

Thanks much - Keri C

I've done 3 flats around the size you have, Keri. All between 7 and 8 pounds. They all turned out quite well.

I think the "High Heat" method is a natural for flats.

JimT

Keri,

Sorry, but when I started the high temp thread a while back, my intent was to do a flat that day.

I have done around 7 of these high heat cooks and have yet to do a flat! Personally, I don't think it makes any difference, but if you decide not to do a high heat cook, let me know, and I'll do one next weekend no matter what.

Ps- every one I have done has come out great, the key IMO, is judging when the moment of tender is near.

I started yanking mine off the wsm when just the ever so small amount of resistance was still there.

Okay, boys and girls - a flat works nicely at high temp. Put it on the WSM at 2 am at the Bixby BBQ and Blues comp, Minionated (Minionized? Minionitiated?) with a ring of Ozark Oak lump and about 1/3 chimney of Kingsford. Foiled at 170, out when fork-tender, about 7. Flat took longer than my packers have, but it was a big flat. Wrapped and rested, sliced and juiced immediately before turn-in.

Good for 11th out of 71, beating the briskets of Head Country II, Royal Oak, and a few others of that ilk.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, looks like a flat'll work.

Keri C
Hot Wire BBQ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
Okay, boys and girls - a flat works nicely at high temp. Put it on the WSM at 2 am at the Bixby BBQ and Blues comp, Minionated (Minionized? Minionitiated?) with a ring of Ozark Oak lump and about 1/3 chimney of Kingsford. Foiled at 170, out when fork-tender, about 7. Flat took longer than my packers have, but it was a big flat. Wrapped and rested, sliced and juiced immediately before turn-in.

Good for 11th out of 71, beating the briskets of Head Country II, Royal Oak, and a few others of that ilk.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, looks like a flat'll work.

Keri C
Hot Wire BBQ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the report and congratulations Keri.
I'm gonna try the high temp smoke very soon.

I appreciate the hints you sprinkle throughout your posts. The lit Kingsford in the middle of the lump ring being an example.

We've attempted the High Heats a few times and have had mixed results. I would appreciate your feedback to steer us in the right direction here. When we slice it and it's tough to slice, I'm assuming we're not cooking it long enough. When we slice it and it we can't cold the slice up because it falls apart then we are over cooking it? Right?

So is the only thing you can really do is take off when it is fork tender? I'm wondering if that window small between fork tender and overdone.

Thanks for the feedback. The one that turned out great was the best brisket we've ever cooked and we can't seem to duplicate it.
icon_frown.gif

Doug, did a combo cook this weekend. Started out with ribs cooked low and slow . When they were done opened her up and did high temp brisket.I took the brisket off when it jiggled like jello. Let it sit for over two hours. It was great. I've taken high heat briskets off when they had a little bit of resistance when I stuck the probe in it . They were good also. You just have to play with it to get it where you like it. By the way, I don't use final temps as a judge of doneness just the feel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So is the only thing you can really do is take off when it is fork tender? I'm wondering if that window small between fork tender and overdone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The window is smaller--but it is relative to both the thickness and especially the marbling of the meat you're cooking.

If it is tough to slice it is undercooked; fall-apart, overcooked. Ignore temps. Go for slight resistance-tender, then pull it.

Doug,

I use a probe to check for fork tender. The key, IMo, is to pull the brisket off when that last little bit of resistance is still there.

I think it's easier to judge with a probe than with a fork. If the brisket is soft like butter, then you may have overcooked it and it may not stay together when slicing.

Thanks for the feedback. We're cooking two high heat flats and a high heat packer in the Oklahoma Joe's contest this weekend. Hopefully it'll turn out!
icon_smile.gif

Good luck Doug!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the brisket is soft like butter, then you may have overcooked it and it may not stay together when slicing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As long as it hasn't continued too long in that stage one is usually okay; however one can circumvent an overcooked result by dramatically shortening the rest. 20-30 minutes loosely wrapped (or just tented) with foil should do it.

Thanks Kevin. I hope to do the high heaters proud! Or at least not embarrass them.
icon_wink.gif
Would you recommend then with the high heat very little rest time? I was going to remove them when there's just a little resistance left and then let them rest about 2-3 hours fat side up. What are your thoughts on when you are in a competition and you have to have the timing down?

Back