Hi Temp Suggestions on WSM

David Willis

TVWBB Member
Anyone have any suggestions for higher temp cooking on the bullet? I have a gasser for most of my "grilling", but wanted to do some assorted chicken parts with charcoals.

I've achieved 325-350 by mistake on occasion :-), but how do you do it intentionally? No pan?, no top?, 4 chimneys?

Thanks!

Two Weber chimneys, all lit, and no pan will get you high heat for chicken. For higher heat still, use high quality lump; still higher, use a bit more, flip the door so the knob is at the bottom and prop it open a little. For high heat on the lower end of the spectrum (and/or if you don't want the fat-dripping-on-fuel-flavor), use an empty pan.

Load one chimney (unlit) in the WSM, on top of that put another 2/3 chimney of lit charcoal. After 10-15 mins assemble the rest of the WSM. If you choose to use the water pan to dissapate the heat to the outer edges a bit, line with foil but do not add water. Also loosely crumple some foil into large balls (2-3) and place in the pan to help eliminate hot spots. Leave your vents wide open and you're set for at least four hrs of 325 - 350* cooking. If your temps don't rise enough you can get the temp up by either opening the side door or lid for a while. The extra air with fire up your coals in no time. Good luck!

Rick

Dang it Kevin, you beat me to the punch again!
icon_biggrin.gif
Best regards my friend.

Rick

Wow, that was quick...barely got the Kingsford out the trunk! Well, on my way with the fire extinguisher (Safety First :-)...just ask the oval shaped brown patch in my backyard.

Thanks again!

Back