Hi Temp... Point

Jeni Huelskamp

I tried my first high temp brisket and it turned out great. The flat was very moist. While the point tasted good, it was very fatty still. Now that everyone has been trying this for a while, can you tell me more about how you are removing the point? Before, during or after. About how much longer do you cook it. Do you wrap and rest at all? I think with removing and cooking the point longer - this would be the perfect way to go! Thanks!

A typical process is to monitor temp in the thickest part of the flat, cooking to target internal temp. The attached point will protect the thin part of the flat. When desired flat internal is reached, separate the point and return it to the cooker, taking it up to 200-205°.

Because I'm quite fond of point in things I don't separate it and return it to the cooker, I separate it, cool the point, and store it. That way, when I want to use it, I can chunk it (removing some fat as I go) and cook it further in or with whatever the ingredients are in the dish I'm using it for so it takes on some of those flavors; things like chili, taquitos, pasta, etc.

But, yes, removing the point and putting it back for further cooking certainly works.

I usually do as Doug describes above. Triming the point is rather easy when it is cooked. I foil the point and put back into the smoker for a couple of hours rather than by temp.

After resting I typically shred it and add Q sauce. Makes great sammies!

I do high temp briskets regularly.

I separate the point when the brisket is ready, leave it whole and foil it for about an hour while the cooker is still running 300+.

It doesn't render completely, but I'll just eliminate any excess fat after pulling the point from the wsm.

Back