Hi From Texas! My first post! Some questions

Marty
You don't need additional wheels/castors to move the staionary cart, just lift the opposite end of the cart (non-wheeled end) and wheel it to where you want to go. Very well balanced and easy to move.

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Marty
You don't need additional wheels/castors to move the staionary cart, just lift the opposite end of the cart (non-wheeled end) and wheel it to where you want to go. Very well balanced and easy to move.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I just found that out. My grill came in yesterday and so did the cart. No trouble whatsoever to put everything together and it really looks beautiful. I don't want to fire it up because it will never look as good as it does right now! This weekend I will have several couples over for a burger cookout and can't wait to try it. I might even give it a go tonight with a nice steak to get the hang of it and then try some of your recipes. Thanks for all the help and advice as this is just what I need and saved several hundred dollars by not going with the Genesis.

Incidentally, I was concerned that finding the thin, 14oz LP canisters would be a problem as I had heard that was the only kind it would take. However, the little fat 16oz bottle fits in there perfectly. Maybe it was another model Q I was thinking of. It really makes no difference as the cart came with the hose and 20lb adapter and that is what I will use but I'm set to go now if I ever want to take it portable.

On a side note, what do you think of Greg Norman? As I am watching now, he has the lead at the Open! I would never have guessed it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> On a side note, what do you think of Greg Norman? As I am watching now, he has the lead at the Open! I would never have guessed it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
He ditched his wife and went off with Chis Everett, I don't think much of him at all.

Don't forget when you do your burgers, wipe the grill with a little oil on some paper towel first, it will stop them sticking. Heat it up on high for 10 minutes, when you put the burgers on turn it down 2 strokes from high with the lid down, about 3 minutes per side.
Have fun.

Regards

Thanks for the tips. The instructions that came with the grill said to oil the meat, not the grill. I've always oiled the grill and I don't see where it makes any difference since the oil will be on the grates one way or another. I'll try your way.

As far as Norman is concerned, well, all I can say is that I really don't know very much about his personal life. He may be a man of flawed character for all I know; I have admired him only as a golfer.

Oh, I wanted to ask is that Weber grill spray used in place of oil? I bought a can of it yesterday. I heard it does not flare up even on a hot grill so maybe I could use that instead.

I always oil the meat now (wow, no innuendo there!). By the time you oil a hot *** grill, without burning your hands, put the equipment down, pick up the new equipment, pick up the food, the oil is gone.

Oil the food, it doesn't have a chance to evaporate/burn off.

I use this Misto Sprayer, so I can use my own oil, mist it (no spray can with those things in them) and not drench my food in oil:
http://www.misto.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Sto...&Category_Code=misto

Available at Linens and Bed Bath Beyond etc.

I tend to oil the meat rather than the grill and that goes for vegetables as well and I rarely have any problems with sticking foods.

It's very important though to make sure you pre-heat the grill for 10-15 minutes untill it starts to smke a bit (usually due to the remains of the last cook LOL ) and give it a good scrape/brush to get them charred bits off, I usually give my meats & vegies a good spray with an olive oil can all over and just slap em on the grill, No Probs!!

An exception to this would be If I'm using a flat hotplate (griddle) where I would give it a good oiling as most of the foods I'm cooking on a plate would be those which require a shallow fry like potato slices,calomari, oysters, bacon & eggs.

As for Greg Norman, last reports he is coming 2nd as of saturday morning july 19. Yep..another sportsman who has had a midlife crisis. He's already got luxury homes,airplanes, sportscars...etc; all that was missing was THE Younger Woman.Maybe that's why they call him the 'Shark'!! LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marty ilacqua:
Thanks for the tips. The instructions that came with the grill said to oil the meat, not the grill. I've always oiled the grill and I don't see where it makes any difference since the oil will be on the grates one way or another. I'll try your way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Marty I was not clear. I always oil the meat when grilling. For Burgers I recommend that you wipe the grill with a little oil as well. This is for added insurance to stop them from sticking especially when using lean beef. If they stick you end up with a mess.

Sorry if I confused you.

Regards

Well, I fired up the grill for the first time and did everything right - almost. I had two, thick sirloins which I had at room temperature and I put olive oil on them along with minced garlic, pepper and a touch of sea salt. I turn on the Q for ten minutes (it was a little over 500 degrees) and put the meat on.

As soon as I did that the thing flared up pretty good but I put the cover down right away and just let it go. Two minutes later I turned them from 10:00 to 2:00. A couple minutes later I went to flip them and then remembered I had failed to turn down the heat a couple notches after putting the stakes on the grill.

Well, needless to say when I flipped them they were sure black! But, they were not burnt. That is the surprising thing. At least they did not taste burnt. In fact, they tasted much better than I thought they would, just a tad "crispy" on that side. They were medium well with a touch of pink in the very center - just the way I like it. I put some butter on them and let them sit in a covered dish for five minutes. I surprised at how well they tasted considering my foul up. I placed a note on the grill cover to remember to lower the heat next time. Oh well, live and learn. Next up tomorrow night will be Mr. Hartcher's cedar plank salmon and I can't wait for that!

Marty
Well done, Try a light brushing of oil only. I am guessing that part of the black was Garlic and part searing/burnt oil

I do not rotate mine 90 degrees before flipping and that way I can have a shorter time on each side.

The trick is to note how you do it and adjust the method till you get it how you want it, and then keep doing it that way.

Good luck on the cedar planked fish. If you put the fish on the plank when it starts to smoke. generally they are cooked at te 12 minute mark. just pull the flesh apart and have a look at the middle, If it is opaque take it off and cover the fish and plank with foil and a tee towel for a few minutes.

Regards

Back