Hey Smoker Joe Guys!

Originally posted by S Mitchell:
Thanks fellas. OK, one more question. It seems from what I have read that the silver is the way to go, but I see alot of golds. What is the best way to go?

I've got both. I would say I "prefer" the gold but that would imply that I actually tried the silver. I've never done that because I'm so happy with the gold as a smoker.

I prefer the silver as a grill but am VERY happy with the gold as a smoker. It's just great. No ashes at all and great air flow. Solid temperature stability.

Awesome, well thanks much guys. I don't know if this is needed, but it's gonna happen. I really appreciate a place like this where info is shared so well. Thanks also for doing all of the hard work so a green horn like me can come in here and make a cool looking smoker in no time! When it's done I'll post pics.

I picked up the gold!! Can't wait to try it out i have a big hunk of chuck roast i want to smoke. I will document it in the big thread this week.

I have the SJS and tried the can trick. It was hard to keep the temp above 180 due to the ash backing up under the coals. I use a solid charcoal holder vs. the expanded metal and I'm sure that made the difference. Without the can, I have to clean out once or twice during a 6-8 hr smoke when I notice the temps dropping below 200. Other than that, it has been a fine little smoker. Did 4 racks of ribs (my mod has 2 racks with stackers) and they all fit. 10 lbs of chicken fit in there fine, also. I'm trying to figure out how to cold smoke with this before spring while the outside temps are low. Putting a fire in it and trying to keep it at 110 when it is 100 outside doesn't look too promising. We used to pipe in the smoke to a fridge from a firebox that was 10 feet away, but like I said, I would like to figure an easy way to use the mini mod.

Back