Helping a buddy Q200 or Q300?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all. A buddy of mine that knows I am a Weber enthusiast mentioned he needed a grill for just him and his gal and they cook fish mostly. So not cooking a bunch of food for a big family or anything like that. I would love to get him one of those Unicorn Genesis II 2 burner grills but I never see them for a good deal around here. Well out of the blue I came across a mint condition Weber Q 200 with stand, cover, and grilling accessories for $50. I just couldn't pass that up and I knew I would just resell it if he didn't want it. I didn't realize that the 200 didn't have the center burner but just the outer Q burner. My question is does the Q200 get up to temp 400plus with no issues? Is this missing heat source in the middle an issue? I have a Q1200 as my small cooker when cooking for just me and my wife and I love it. I only use my big Gen II 330 when we have company.
Another option that I have is that I have an opportunity to snag a Q 300 in pretty darn good shape as well for the same price. Of course this would require travel time......selling the 200....cleaning the 300.....blah blah blah. So is the 300 that much better than the 200 given it has 2 burners is my ultimate question that I took a long time to spit out.

For two people the Q200 is fine. Mine gets up to about 450. Gets to 350 pretty quick and then eventually up to 450. It gets used for 85% of my grilling do to being usually all that I need and its fuel efficiency with propane and the fact that it is on the deck right off the kitchen.

That being said, the Q300 is a little more versatile with the added grilling space along with the flexibility of two burners. They usually are hotter running as well.

Thanks Bruce. Yes ultimately I would want a 300. The therm.....extra burner....electric start......and I guess it a little bigger too. This dang 200 is barely used which is the big draw for me.....its mint.

I just picked it up today.....I m gunna fire it up tomorrow and see what it is all about. I might even do some burgers on it. My buddy will have to deal with some fresh grease on this mint grill.

Back