HELP. wsm running too cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Jones

TVWBB Pro
I lit the WSM 1 hour ago and I can't get it above 250 with no meat and a full water pan of hot water. I filled the charcoal ring with unlit coal and then added a full chimney of lit kingsford. All the vents are wide open and after an hour it's still at 250. Well, I just checked and now it's 238. I'm going to add another chimney of lit coals.

Any advice? I'm trying to smoke 4 butts today but if I cant get the WSM to get up to 275 empty, this won't work. Ugh.

Thanks!

Well, that certainly did it. I left the door open for 10 minutes and it was 480 when I went out! Whoops. Thanks for the emergency tip :-)

Whoa, 480!!! Those butts oughta be done in time for breakfast! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Ed
Why do you want to get up 275?, I cook at 225 to 265? at the dome all the time. I can't see where you really had a problem the cooker was doing what it was ment to do.
Jim

Sometimes we (myself included) figure that if there is more meat in the WSM, the higher the temp is needed.

When I did that fair in Alaska last month, I was cooking 6 and sometimes 8 butts at a time. The first time, I did work to get temps up higher, such as opening the door. But when I saw the temp settle at 240 after I added the meat, I figured, what's the point?

So, regardless of how much meat I am cooking, I always cook the same way. Load the unlit coals, add about a dozen lit coals on top, fill the standard water pan with cold water, and add the meat and close the lid. I start with all the lower vents closed and always, always, the top vent open. After 30-45 minutes, if I am not above 200 degrees, I crack open one of the lower vents halfway and check again in 30 minutes. For a normal load, that is all that is needed. For heavier loads, I find that I end up running with one vent fully open. My goal is to get to cooking temps 225-240 within the first 90 minutes.

I have found that the end result, when that butt bone protrudes from the meat, usually occurs around 2 hours per pound (average weight of each butt). The only exception is when cooking 8 butts at a time, where air circulation is hampered by all the meat. One solution is start with only 3 on the bottom rack. Another is to rotate the meats top to bottom every 4 hours. Not my preference, as I really like to leave the butts untouched and unseen for 6-8 hours.

I have one of those long necked garden watering buckets that I use to refill the waterpan without lifting the lid.

Having watched Jim Minion several times, that guy sets his WSM, has a drink or three, along with a Cigar, and heads to bed. ME? I sit beside my cooker, tending the fire, monitoring the temp, and occassionally sneaking over to Jim's cooker to see how his temp is running. Always in the range he wants. Lesson learned: Don't overthink the WSM. It really is designed to do the job without a lot of our interference. Trust it. I do.

Dale

Well, I'd like to run at 275 because the last time I made butts at 2 hours per pound running in the 250 range they never got beyond the 170 meat temp plateau. These butts were aruond 6 pounds each before I removed the fat caps. At the minimum, I'd expect 12 hours! So I figured a little higher temp and they might actually get done in 12.

I guess I'll find out tonight. Last time I fought to keep the temp up too. I'll have to figure out what my fundamental problem is. Every 30 minutes I have to go out and open the door for a few minutes to get back to 275. Ugh. I'm thinking the ribs tomorrow will be much easier since I plan to cook them at 225.

Ed, it sounds like your charcoal may be damp and it just took a while for it to dry out enough to really catch on. Another possibility is that, even though the vents were wide open, poor air flow; you might try starting off with a bit less charcoal (I have never filled the charcoal ring full) and make sure the bottom is not full of ash.

Ed, I think you're on the right track. If you're not doing an overnighter and you want pulled pork for supper, go ahead and run up the temp. You'll save some time and it won't hurt the butts.

Steve

Ed
Time is simply a guide, and not the best, internal temp is the best way to judge the progress of a cook. I find that the smaller the butt the less you can go by time. Collagen takes time to break down and I find 14 hours is closer to the time it takes (sometime less, sometimes more).
The reason for the stall is as the cells breakdown they give off moisture, if there are enough cell breaking down at a given time the internal temp of a butt or brisket can drop slightly. As the the number cells breaking down becomes less the internal temp rises quicker.
The reason the butt stayed at 170? for so long is it was still breaking down a large amount of fat and collagen, there are many cooks that will attempt to create this stall to render more fat than the normal process would.
Patience is the hardest part of BBQ.
Jim

Jim. Thanks for the explanation. The smoker is now running steady as she goes now. I wanted to run at 275 so I could get to 195 w/o it taking too long.

About damp charcoal: is there a way to tell beforehand? How do you keep it dry? I keep my bulk malt (for my beer) in my basement, in sealed rubber tubs, with a dehumidifier set at 50%. Perhaps I should be giving the Kingsford the same royal treatment? :-D

Hello, Ed.

Jim was spot on with his explanation of what's going on during the 170? plateau.

As for damp charcoal, I don't think you need to give it the same level of TLC you give your malt but I wouldn't suggest storing it outside, either. A recent rain or even damp, night air will cause problems with charcoal. I keep mine in the garage and it seems to always work just fine.

Good luck with the cook and let us know how it turns out.

Once I got past that early temperature problem and the coals got going well, the WSM held steady for me. I too keep my charcoal in the garage. I even keep the WSM in the garage. Oh well. I think today for the ribs I will be firing the WSM 2 hours before I plan to put the ribs on just in case. :-)

The pork butts came off at 12hours by running the first 6 hours at 275 and the last 6 hours between 225-250. I let the internal temp get to 198. That was probably a bit too much. Next time I'll stick with the 250 range and see what changes. They sure pulled easily though!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed Jones:
[qb]I lit the WSM 1 hour ago and I can't get it above 250 with no meat and a full water pan of hot water. I filled the charcoal ring with unlit coal and then added a full chimney of lit kingsford. All the vents are wide open and after an hour it's still at 250. Well, I just checked and now it's 238.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you tried tapping the charcoal ring to remove a possible ash barrier between hot and unlit coals?

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back