Help with Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Next weekend will be Thanksgiving for us north of the border(Great White North) I have not smoked a Turkey on my WSM.
Have done Turkey on my gasser, but I would love to do one on WSM next weekend.
Any expert help would be appreciated!!

Cheers

Hey Steve, I'm gonna do my first one as well for Thanksgiving, I can't wait!

Chris has provided a lot of info in the reference topics here, and use of the search function for Turkey will bring back lots of hits.

I'm thinking about doing the Honey brined turkey. Get a 20 pounder, have it cut in half (butterflied to breast then seperated) and one half on each rack.

I have a line an fresh free range non-medicated birds and I can't decide if I should brine such a fantastic bird or not.

Shawn,
That is the problem, I don't want to brine.
I'm having a hard decision between Butterball's
or Free Range. Butterballs are on sale right now
you never see Free Range on sale around here.
I could just break down and use my gasser, they always turn out fantastic, but I want to use WSM
for a change!!!

Cheers

Steve McMurtry,

Man you should really consider getting a Kosher bird. Thats the best advice I ultimately got out of the thread of mine that RoB O posted the link to. I even cooked it during the middle of Hurricane Jeanne going over us and it came out awesome. Being a Kosher bird it was alreay brined and came out tender and good. Based on the fact I had nothing else to do with the power being out last Sunday...I ended up cooking it at about 250deg vice the higher 325-350 range. I took a ton of butter mixed with various herbs and spices of my choice and rubbed it up under the skin, inside the bird cavity and around the outside. Stuffed it with whole garlic heads, haved white onions, and halved apples. I ended up putting a bit of foil on the breasts to keep them from drying out to much and just basted with melted butter...so I'd get a good golden brown. Ended up making the fixings on my Weber Genisis Gold B because my stinking house is all electric...so no power meant no oven or stovetop. Found that I could still make mashed potatoes, grilled corn, and green bean casserole on the gasser. The cool thing is I put water in the water pan and then put foil over the top. Kept me from have to refill it at all and I was able to collect the drippings from the top of the foil to use in a smokey gravy I made. The family was all smiles...and it made the best out of crappy day.

More that 2cents worth but still worth it...

Hi,

Just one point of clarification regarding kosher poultry. It is not brined but rather coated with kosher salt for a short period of time and then rinsed.

I don't know if the koshering process will work as well as true brining.

Here's a link that describes one kosher poultry company's process

Al

Thanks Al. Eitherway it really does achieve similar results. I don't think I have ever had a better turkey than the Kosher one I got. I'm not Jewish (my wife claims we are Southern Baptist) but I have actually switched to buying alot of other Kosher meat products. They seem to be much better quality and in my opinion they taste better.

All this talk about Turkey made me go down to the basement, dig to the bottom of my freezer, and pull out that big bird I bought on sale a few months ago. Sucker is harder than a diamond and so big it will take a week to thaw. I will brine it for sure cause to me, there isnt a better way that I know how to cook one. Season them however you want but brining is my #1 must do for birds.
DP

Not to worry if you can't find a kosher bird. Granted it's a convenience. Brining is pretty easy to do. It also gives you the avantage of adding additional flavorings to the bird during the brining process.

I like to use a little sugar, pepper, bay, onions and star anise.

Here you go Matt. It's from a recipe I use on the grill fairly regularly.

If you can't find star anise chineese five spice powder works ok too.

6 quarts water
2 large onions, quartered
1 cup coarse salt
1 cup chopped fresh ginger
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
4 large bay leaves
4 whole star anise
12 whole black peppercorns, crushed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back