Help with my E-320 getting too hot

Well, while I think cleaning the burner jets was a step in the right direction, I'm not sure that it resolved your problem. To my eye your flames are still standing too tall, but then I compared them to my Silver C and they don't look half bad.

Can you take a picture of the burner area in the center where the low flames are, in full light? Those jets are going to be noticeably different from the jets to the left and right, I'm certain.

Here is the comparison, Hi and Lo, between yours and mine (your burners are on the right).

Attachments

• Hi_Both.png
    Hi_Both.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Lo_Both.png
    Lo_Both.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 14
Well, while I think cleaning the burner jets was a step in the right direction, I'm not sure that it resolved your problem. To my eye your flames are still standing too tall, but then I compared them to my Silver C and they don't look half bad.

Can you take a picture of the burner area in the center where the low flames are, in full light? Those jets are going to be noticeably different from the jets to the left and right, I'm certain.

Here is the comparison, Hi and Lo, between yours and mine (your burners are on the right).

Ed are the holes in the center of your burners the same size as on the sides? Mine are significantly smaller, but since I noticed this on the old burners as well I thought it was normal. I'll take a photo when I get home.

Ed are the holes in the center of your burners the same size as on the sides?
Yes, they are, and it totally slipped my mind, but the outside burner jets are on the side of the tube, unlike the middle burner where they are on the top (on the Silver C). This is going to make the flames on the middle burner appear to stand taller.
Mine are significantly smaller, but since I noticed this on the old burners as well I thought it was normal. I'll take a photo when I get home.
Just the fact that all three burners show the same pattern, and that it is the same burner jet pattern as the burners that were replaced, convinces me that it must be normal, but I still would like to see just for my own knowledge.

Here's pics of my burners.

Attachments

• 20201002_151944.jpg
    20201002_151944.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201002_151954.jpg
    20201002_151954.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
According to my ID tag, my LPG burners are rated at 16,000BTU/h (48k total) @ 10.5"WC. Let's play what-if for a second...

Suppose somebody on the factory floor mixed up valves and put NG valves in instead of LPG valves. The orifice for NG @ 7"WC to produce 16k BTU/h will produce almost double the BTU/h with LPG... 31,357 BTU/h, to be exact, or 94k BTU/h total. Believe me, if your grill was putting out twice the heat than it was designed for, you would know.

Not likely that you have NG stuff where LPG stuff should be, from what I'm seeing.

Last edited:
After taking the pics I took a smaller screwdriver than I used yesterday to perform the same sort of "punch down/cleanout" that I did with the larger ones. When it gets dark I'll test again.

front and middle burners
IMG_4500.JPG

front burner
IMG_4501.JPG

valve
IMG_4435.JPG

Thanks, James! Yep, that most certainly was done by design...nothing wrong there.

That's awfully weird. I don't think my grill has that type of thing. Are those original Weber burners? I have to do a cleaning on my Genesis perhaps tomorrow. I will take a look and post results

Burner maintenance is part of the game and needs to be done periodically...it's just the nature of the beast. The easiest way I've found to see if it's time for a cleaning is night photography. I will not buy aftermarket burners...the ones I have seen are an inferior design in my book.

Burner maintenance is part of the game and needs to be done periodically...it's just the nature of the beast. The easiest way I've found to see if it's time for a cleaning is night photography. I will not buy aftermarket burners...the ones I have seen are an inferior design in my book.

With the original burners a good brush every so often was all they needed whenever there were problems. I'm hoping this screwdriver trick is a one time thing on some poorly machined holes, but if it happens again I would seem to have an idea of something to try.

I won't know for sure if this worked until my next time to actually use it.

Latest picture after punching down all those holes. Very happy to see all that blue.
IMG_4510.JPG

Nice. I would be very happy with that. But look...here's a post from 2006 by our illustrious admin, @Chris Allingham, way back when this board was in its infancy...

Nothing much has changed since then. By that I mean I think it's a good practice to clean your burners periodically.

Last edited:
With the original burners a good brush every so often was all they needed whenever there were problems. I'm hoping this screwdriver trick is a one time thing on some poorly machined holes, but if it happens again I would seem to have an idea of something to try.

I won't know for sure if this worked until my next time to actually use it.

Latest picture after punching down all those holes. Very happy to see all that blue.
View attachment 15362
This looks more like what I expect to see. BTW some other things that can make your grill "seem" hotter than normal. If you thoroughly clean the firebox to bare metal combined with new poor quality flavorizer bars.

Back