Help with homemade sausages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hey All,

Here is the deal: the father-in-law has 100lbs of homemade beef sausage in his freezer that he helped make. Neither the owner or he like them (need to find out why). I grilled some of these with steaks on WSM over Maple Leaf lump charcoal quickly over high heat and my family liked them. I didn't know what meat was in them at that time but they were so lean I thought they might have been a moose mix. Here is a close up of the meat and a pic of some nearly defrosted.

I am going to smoke these up, vacpack them and take them back. If the owner likes them, I am going to do all of them for him and get to keep some. Since they are so lean I suspect they won't be that good smoked, but I'm going to try a rack just the same.

First question: if the complaint is that they are too lean is there any way to fix them? Brine? Remove from casings and mix with ground pork, then make big sausages without a casing and smoke? Your ideas???

Second question: if the owner does like them smoked and wants me to do them all and vacpack them, what is a fair amount for me to receive for my efforts? I'm thinking if I get 40lbs at $2.50/lb it's worth $100. On four racks I can do his 60 lbs say 15 lbs at a time in WSM @ 3 hours per batch. So my 'cost' is 13 hours (one hour to vacpack) + fuel + smoke wood + foodsaver rolls.

Was the texture really dry? Did it kind of crumble when sliced after cooking?

Short of re-making the mix I'm not sure there's much you can do if the mix was lean to begin with. Injecting them with fat might work but would be a pain in the butt with no guarantee of success, though you could try it.

First thing I'd probably try is to low-and-slow a few, removing at different internal temps, and see what the results are. If there's at least some fat in play you should be able to find the right point.

I have gently poached lean sausage with fairly good results. A par-poach and a smoke finish might work, but is adding another step.

Perhaps some other sausage makers out there have better ideas.

$200 seems reasonable if the guy's a friend of your father's and the process you select isn't time consuning. Or $300 if a mere acquaintance.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... Was the texture really dry? Did it kind of crumble when sliced after cooking?
... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> yes, really dry and a bit crumbly.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... $200 seems reasonable if the guy's a friend of your father's and the process you select isn't time consuning. Or $300 if a mere acquaintance ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> sounds good to me
icon_smile.gif
but I'm not getting cash, I'm getting product that I can do with as I please.

So I guess the first thing to do is give the meat a value. I was thinking $2.50/lb. Would you agree? With an established value, the more product I get, the less work I have to do for him.

They are practically ready to throw the sausages in the garbage. From that perspective the value is little so I should only give back 10 lbs
icon_smile.gif
. But I'm not trying to rip anyone off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Shawn if it is too lean the texture will be wrong, you could add fat (I have never tried it).

Take a look at this site it may give you some ideas on how to handle if your willing to remix:
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_files/alphabetical_list.htm
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Wow Jim, I haven't even heard of half of those. Can you recommend a couple that might be suitable for a starting point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back