Help with first rotisserie chicken

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section, i'm still learning the forum. I just picked up the weber rotisserie for my EP-330 grill and would like to try a rotisserie chicken tonight, but i could use (a lot of) advice.

The EP-330 has the front-to-back burner configuration, so based on what i have read i need to take the grates off, put a roasting pan over the middle burner, and then just use the 2 burners on the end to create an indirect cook, correct?

Is it ok to use one of the foil pans (like the grease drip pan inserts) for the roasting pan? I know the pan will catch the drippings, but do i put anything in the pan to begin with or just put it in empty?

What hood temp should i be trying to hold while cooking? It's a 4lb chicken.

Also, I could use some advice on preparing the chicken. I know i need to wash it, pat it dry and truss it. But should i put anything inside of it for seasoning? How about on the outside, any suggestion on how to flavor it?

How about basting while it's cooking? I purchased some of the silicon basting brushes, do i just dip them into the pan catching the drippings and baste with that, or should i mix up a baste to apply during cooking?

And lastly, is there a way to crisp up the skin at the end of cooking?

Sorry about all the questions, i'm very new to this and just want to make sure I do it all correctly. Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated:)

Sounds like you have the basics already thought out. I generally shoot for 350 on my Genesis for similar cooks. The nice thing about the rotisserie is that it will self baste. I would use a mild rub inside and out since chicken does not have a strong taste of its own. I leave the skin as intact as possible to hold in moisture. If you raise the temp at the end to 400 you will crisp up the skin. Also consider a glaze of BBQ sauce during the last 15 min.
Have fun and enjoy.

Mike

I have used foil pans without any problem, however I do have a Commercial Grade stainless pan that
I wrap in foil to ease clean up, this pan take more abuse when banging it around or jamming in tight spot,
especially on the 22.5 kettle.
As to adding liquid, I have done it with and without, and not noticed much difference.

Back