HELP! Quick release propane issue!

ADeanBell

Hello All-

Hoping someone can help. I have an older Genesis Silver (1996) that my mother-in-law kept in immaculate condition. We inherited it recently. (She sold the cabin - she's fine.). Problem is - the tank had a quick release connection to the hose with regulator. (I'll post picture). I bought from Weber a new hose/regulator that was supposed to work with this grill connecting to a modern screw on LP tank. Problem is - the thread on the nut on the new hose does not work with the thread on the grill's manifold. I spent a bunch of time with a Weber service person working on this and was willing to buy a new manifold to match the thread. Weber no longer sells the manifold. So, I am trying to find an adapter from the quick release male hose that threads to my manifold to a screw on LP tank connection. Amazon sells one but it has a regulator on it so if I connected my hose to it I would have two regulators in the line. I have a feeling that's not good.

Does anyone make a quick release to screw on tank connection adapter w/out regulator? Would 2 regulators in line be OK?

Any input appreciated. (2nd pic is what Amazon sells)

Dean

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpeg
    IMG_2819.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 11.40.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 11.40.17 AM.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 18
I just recently switched mine out. I disconnected the old hose from the manifold regulator and all. Replaced with a modern hose with new regulator and screwed it into the manifold.

To be safe I would get a Weber branded hose/regulator because not all regulators are created equal and to save a couple bucks on a generic one probably isn't worth the risk. Not that it won't work.

Do you have a picture of your manifold? Should either be a male or a female fitting and either way you should be able to get what you need on Amazon.

Last edited:
Unless someone gerry rigged your manifold, or you're unsure of what you're doing, it should be a simple 3/8" flare fitting on the manifold. And nearly ANY actual Weber regulator and hose will work fine. Be CAREFUL of amazon stuff. Much of it does NOT meet spec for pressure and flow and can turn the grill into a flame thrower or nearly no heat. Put up photos of the manifold and where the issue you're having lies. Replacing the regulator and hose is about as easy as falling off a rock.
Another thing you can do is simply replace the quick connect with the proper Acme acorn nut and use the original https://www.amazon.com/Onlyfire-Propane-Fitting-Adapter-Thread/dp/B01K9N3ZV8/?tag=tvwb-20
This will require a little more expertise, and also being able to obtain and use the proper gas fitting thread compound

Chris - you have solved the problem, I think. I did not know the newer regulator hose will screw into the manifold without the elbow. When I get back upstate I will try that out but it ssure looks like my problem. Also - your follow-up discussion gave me other possible adapting methods as well. Thanks EVERYONE and I'll let you know in a few days if it worked out. Great video!

BTW - I have a brand new Weber brand hose/regulator with 1/8inch connector- and the price is now $34.99. Cost-flation??

OK - so it took a while to get back upstate and find the time to work on the grill. Chris - IT WORKED!! I took off the elbow and used the new regulator/hose from Weber and it threaded into the manifold. Plumbers tape and a quick soapy water test - all good. Thanks so much - you saved this vintage Weber from the scrap heap! Thanks all who responded.

Attachments

• IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 21
I'm glad you got it working again, but that should have screwed directly into the elbow that you removed. Edit: I understand why you did that after watching the video.

Last edited:
Just a heads-up... That's not a Silver. I think it's an old Spirit. If it's a two burner it's a 500. If there are three burners it's a 700. You have a nice old grill in great shape. Glad you got it up and running.

The new regulator hose wouldn't thread to the elbow. And yes - my mistake - it is an old Spirit 500. Grandma get it in perfect shape and so glad with all your help it's back in action. A couple pics!

Attachments

• IMG_2977.jpeg
    IMG_2977.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2978.jepg.jpg
    IMG_2978.jepg.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 5

Back