Help please with my Q purchase

Yeah I thought of that while considering options.
The whole OEM regulator isn't worth keeping sounded good and just fix it right was my first thought, then I thought of what you just said.
I do have a JJ I use for travel, but then I need to take chimney's, charcoal ect.

I didn't mean to put you off about the OPD on the 20lb tank...it's just something that everyone who uses a larger tank needs to be aware of. I've tripped the OPD on my larger Genesis grills, because I tend to crank down tight on the tank valve which makes it harder for me to open the valve slowly. To reset the OPD, you simply just shut everything off and let it sit for a short while and then retry, remembering to open the tank valve slowly. An indication that the OPD has tripped is that the grill won't heat up beyond a certain point, usually about 300F for me. A tripped OPD is less likely to happen if the regulator is right at the tank, but it still happens under the right conditions. I don't recommend that you change out a brand new OEM regulator because of a potential OPD problem, just be aware of the issue and work accordingly.

If portability is a factor, note that none of the Q series is truly portable in that it takes two hands to carry one, and another hand to carry the stand (the grill is intended to be removed from the stand for transport). The fold-up stand is considered by some to be rickety, although I personally don't have a problem with it. On the plus side of things, the Q1xxx will run nearly 3 hrs. on a 1lb. can of gas, the Q2xxx almost 2. Some people refill the disposable 1lb cans, which can be finicky to fill completely, or there are refillable cans available. I think the Q1xxx and Q2xxx were designed to be mostly stationary with occasional portable use and they suit that purpose well.

Last edited:
Another option if you go the permanent 20 lb route is this adapter for the 1lb tank. It can also save your meal if the 20 lb tank runs dry mid cook and you don’t have another one.

I also have a 5 lb tank for camping and I use it for the Q, Coleman stove and blackstone. They are expensive but I got mine at a yard sale and had it recertified for $25.

Another option if you go the permanent 20 lb route is this adapter for the 1lb tank. It can also save your meal if the 20 lb tank runs dry mid cook and you don’t have another one.

I also have a 5 lb tank for camping and I use it for the Q, Coleman stove and blackstone. They are expensive but I got mine at a yard sale and had it recertified for $25.
The caution with a 1lb can at the end of a hose is that you need to make sure the can stays upright to prevent liquid LPG from entering the hose, and you need to remember to unscrew the can from the adapter before removing the adapter from the QCC1 fitting.

Well MR. I work from home and can bbq anything.....everyday.........
10% over cost is what it boils down to.....
I would give many things up to work from home.....including my current body weight......

Back