Help picking out a grill to restore

Fletcher

I need your opinion on which grill to get to restore. I ideally would love to get a redhead Genesis 3000 with wood shelves, but the options are slim around me. The closest I get to that is this grill.

00i0i_9ygwgRO2USr_600x450.jpg

00F0F_cYEOblwJv1z_600x450.jpg

It is pretty trashed. They have the shelf but it is missing the swing out shelf. They are asking $40 for it. I know the swing out shelf would be hard to replace and basically everything internally would need to be replaced.

The other option I have Weber Genesis Gold C for $55. It needs new flavorizer bars. Are parts more expensive for this model because it isn't as common? Does it look like it would need new burners?

00B0B_3mMMvdO031S_600x450.jpg

01313_hC6gR6kpkMj_600x450.jpg

The other option is just to wait and hope I can find something before next spring. What do you think?

I personally would buy them both!
I'm looking for a red head...or even just a red hood would be fine by me.. and I would also scramble to get the Genesis C if it is LP, cause I just restored one just like it, and have another one sitting in line, that needs converted over to LP!
The parts needed to restore both are available on Amazon and if Amazon doesn't have it, Weber does! With Amazon, I get free 2 day shipping because I have Prime.. Weber takes longer to receive order, but whole order ships for $7. no matter how big the order is.
I'm still waiting on a Weber order after almost 2 weeks.
If you don't have Amazon Prime, I suggest you go to Home Depot or Lowe's or even Wal-Mart, and price your parts there, so you don't have to pay shipping.. Webber has what they call MAP pricing, so all stores, have same prices, except for clearance items.

Last edited:
I'd personally get the Redhead and keep watching on here and Craigslist for the shelf. There are enough people buying two or three grills and making one out of them that someone should have an extra shelf around. If you take the time to fully restore that Redhead she'll be a beaut!

The green one is a far classier grill and is also a far stronger frame. Same frame as old Summit 400 series. Yep you may want red but greenie is a MUCH better and classier grill.

Easy - the green grill by a long shot! Why does the greenie need now flavorizer bars? It came with SS, so they should be fine.

The redhead would only be worth picking up as parts for a better donor. 45 bucks isn't worth it to me. But, my area has a lot of turnover so finding gassers is a dime-a-dozen. :)

I'm in the process of restoring a 2001 Genesis Gold C (the green/bottom one). For $55, that's a steal. As LMichaels said, it uses a Summit frame that us much heavier duty than the standard Genesis frame. For the most part, parts are readily available and this grill can use most of the standard Genesis Silver/Gold parts, such as the burners and grates. The one part that is different are the flavorizer bars. This grill uses a longer than standard bar, which is still available, but slightly more expensive than the standard Genesis bars. Even if the flavorizer bars aren't in perfect condition, they're still serviceable.

Either way, you can't go wrong!

Last edited:
40 bucks for that redhead is a little steep, I would offer them 20 just to keep the lid, and the cook box if it is in decent shape.

Thanks for all the input. I decided to go with the green Genesis Gold C. It will be cheaper and easier to restore and I can take my time finding a redhead if I still want it. I picked it up and the outside is in really good shape. Only the sides of the hood need to be painted. One of the grates looks like it might clean up but the other one is completely worn through in spots. It came with only 2 flavorizer bars and they are trashed. The burners look good except the crossover bar will need to be replaced. Hopefully the racks will clean up. It needs a new thermometer and one of the wheels has a broken weber ring. The serial number and model info is completely worn off. Seems like it will be a pretty easy restoration for my first time, but I'm sure I'll have some questions. I'll post pictures when I start.

It seems like I got a good deal on the grill. It was on CL for 17 days before I picked it up. I think that may be because they spelled Weber 'Webber'. I didn't find it until I thought about searching for the wrong spelling.

Why would greenie have longer bars? It is the same fire box just mounted in a Summit frame. Weber did not bother making two different Genesis bodies

Why would greenie have longer bars? It is the same fire box just mounted in a Summit frame. Weber did not bother making two different Genesis bodies

The 2000-2001 Genesis used flavorizer bars that were 23 3/8" long, part number 9913. I've never tried the standard bars (22.5", 7537) or measured the inside of my grill to see if they fit.

Last edited:

Back