help on a brisket

Mickey Mays

TVWBB Member
just put in a 10 lb. brisket and wondering when I should pull it and foil it. Do I go to 185 degrees or 195. Pressure is on to impress for Easter dinner and this is only my second brisket so am a little apprehensive. Smoking with wine barrel shanks and allowing 1 and a half hours per pound. Have a deep fried turkey and meatballs as back up, but hoping the brisket is the hit. Mickey

Pull off at 185-190°, foil and rest in dry cooler a couple hours. That will help assure you get tender results without going too far and ending up with pot roast texture.

My briskets have usually finished in 12 - 13 hours. A bit less then 1.5 hrs per lb. I usually start checking for tenderness around 185-188. I stick a cooking fork in the side. If it goes in easy, like into soft butter, it's ready. Then I foil with a bit of apple juice for a couple of hours.

I also put a bisket, 1st attempt with one, on last night but with 2 butts, third time with the easy meat. Fell asleep too long but my temps are holding strong. I was told to pull after 10-12 hours and wrap in plastic, then foil. Any thoughts?

I foil at 165 and put back on until it gets to 190-195.

Then wrap in towels or blanket and put in a cooler for a few hours. It's going to stay hot in there, so it will still need to rest before slicing.

I need to add that time is just a guideline, Could take 10 hrs, could take 14, depending on how big it is, how long the plateau is, etc.

Mine started at 10:30 pm and finished at 9:30 am. FOiled and put it in the oven at 190 and it stayed perfect until it was time to slice at 4:30! Moist as can be!

Back