Help. Need to make quick Brisket Decision: Guru

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi,

Need a little help folks. Gotta decide whether to keep a brisket at 190 for 3 hours using the guru ramp mode or pull it at about 185 and foil.

Cook went a little (much faster) than I expected and need to do stuff with kids starting at 10:45.

Thoughts on tradeoof between a less tender brisket pulling at only 185 vs potential of using ramp mode to hold it at 190 for 3 hours?

With brisket I'd pull at 185--I wouldn't want to risk moisture loss. With butt I'd go the other route. I've never had quite that dilemma, though.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm also going to put a heated brick in my holding chest. That way it'll continue cooking in the chest.

14.5 lb brisket to 185 in 12 hours go figure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
14.5 lb brisket to 185 in 12 hours go figure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. How did the meat feel when you wrapped it--did it feel 'right'?

I've yet to use a guru. I just got one of the re-man ones off ebay (thank you Mike Zarecky for the post), but haven't got home yet to give it a whirl.

Rob
Kevin is right on holding without generating heat just allowing the heat load in the meat to equalize goes a long ways towards meat remaining moist. Wrapping and continuing to apply heat will change the texture to something closer to pot roast.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
14.5 lb brisket to 185 in 12 hours go figure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. How did the meat feel when you wrapped it--did it feel 'right'?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. It felt right. I was able to separate the point from the flat with just my hands. While I was doing that part of the point shreded and part of the flat sort of fell apar not quite shredding but it was done.

All I can figure is maybe the ramp mode cooked it faster, or, given that this is winter maybe the meat was leaner than I'm used to but I know I'm reaching here.

I foiled at 185 and dropped her in the cooler with a heated brick. We'll see how she comes out.

If it's pot roast it's pot roast. But I'd rather have pot roast than one that's too tough (personal choice here and a tribute to my Grandmother I guess.)

Thanks guys.

Ramp mode on the Guru does seem to cook a little faster. Don't have enought Guru cooks under my belt so far to know for sure. It might be the fact that ramp mode starts the cook out at a higher heat. Then as the meat starts heating up the pit tmpe ramps down.

Back