HELP! Must reheat pork shoulder tonight!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What a great site! I just finished my first pork shoulder cook yesterday. I made two, pulled one and I want to serve the second for dinner tonight (VIP guests, at that). I will have about an hour to reheat the unpulled shoulder, but I don't want to kill the flavor. Any ideas?

Idealy you have more time, but with an hour I would slice and place in an oven safe pan. Add some kind of liquid like chicken stock cover tightly and heat slow is best but you may need to go at 275 or a little higher. Don't over do it.
Jim

You didn't mention how big it was, but nonetheless, I would foil it with about 1 cup of apple juice inside the foil and put it in a 250 degree oven for about an hour or so, to get the temp back up to 185-200.

What temp did you pull it at yesterday?

I would pull it or chop it and put it in a pan covered with whatever sauce you use. I personally like the cider vineager sauces.

Try a cup of cider vineager and a tablespoon of salt, tablespoon of brown sugar, teaspoon of black pepper, teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Spoon the sauce over the meat and stick it in the oven at a low temp so it warms up slowly.

That's how I always reheat mine and it works great.

Good luck!

Grim

Well this is too late to help (for last night). But what I like to do is separate into chunks by pulling apart major muscle groups (anything that comes apart easily), foil, a little apple juice or mop, heat until warm. Then pull meat for eating. I find that the intitial separation of the pieces helps it heat quicker, but still having 'chunks' helps it stay moister. Hope this helps (next time).

It seemed that an hour is not nearly enough time. I foiled, and added some juice and vinegar, The temp would not move at all. The temperature would not move a bit. Five minutes before guests were to arrive, I took it out, and pulled it, and it was lukewarm. I sauced it a bit, threw it is in the oven, but the end result was a bit soggy. Everyone seemed to love it, but for me, the memory of the previous day's fresh pork was fresh in my mind. I'm sure that dividing the muscles would have helped considerably.

The prior day, I made what seems to be a major rookie mistake- I bought a 9lb. and a 6lb roast. I had an 18 hour cook, and because of time constraints (thought I had plenty) I had to pull at about 170. I've been making barbecue for some years now, but in a distinctly non-barbecue part of the country, and thus I've never tasted a pork butt done properly. We all seemed to love the end result (on the first day). The extra 20-40 degrees would have taken hours, I presume. What did I miss by removing the butt so early?

Mike,
By pulling at 170* vs. 190*-200* you missed the fall of the bone tenderness of a properly smoked butt. As for the sogginess you are referring to, you may have added a bit too much liquid when you were reheating. Plus you added sauce after that, that may have contributed to the sogginess. Next time you may want to plan an overnight cook and plan on having the butts cooked and done several hours prior to your guests arriving. That way you will have time to hold them and let them rest in a cooler for several hours. They will still be too hot to touch, so you will have warm freshly pulled Q for your guests!

Hi,

I think the best way to re-heat pulled pork is by storing (even if its for one day) in foodsaver bags. I add a bit of the rub and a little apple juice then into the bags.

You can just drop the bag or bags into boiling water to reheat. The pork comes out like it was just pulled.

Al

I bought one of the foodsavers last week and now have a couple of bags of pulled pork in the freezer. When reheating in boiling water do you leave the bag sealed?

Reheating in the vaccuum bag does work well. I had given a lady in our mailroom a butt back before Thanksgiving, as she grew up on a little island on the south coast of Georgia and had commented that she hadn't had "Bostonbutt" in ages (not knowing at the time that I could cure that little problem for her.) I brought her an unpulled butt that I had placed in a vaccuum bag (placed in the bag and refrigerated but not sealed until it was well-chilled so that I wouldn't lose any juices) and gave her the "Boilin' Bag" instructions. She followed my instructions, said she heated it in simmering water for 25 - 30 minutes, and that it was piping hot and perfect - with CORNBREAD DRESSING, GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE, AND MASHED POTATOES! She did - she used that butt for Thanksgiving dinner!
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

So, are y'all saying it's better to keep the butts whole when packaging for later?

I'm planning on doing 5 or 6 butts to take on our snowboarding trip and I wondered if it would be better to pull first or just package and pull when we get there. It would be way easier to pull at home, but not if the meat suffers.

I will be vacuum packing, btw. I'll probably do them 1-2 weeks before we leave, the way it looks now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So, are y'all saying it's better to keep the butts whole when packaging for later?

I'm planning on doing 5 or 6 butts to take on our snowboarding trip and I wondered if it would be better to pull first or just package and pull when we get there. It would be way easier to pull at home, but not if the meat suffers.

I will be vacuum packing, btw. I'll probably do them 1-2 weeks before we leave, the way it looks now.

Boomer Sooner! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Either way works fine. If you're looking for convenience then just pull at home before going on your trip.

Al

My preference is to pull it first and then freeze...but as Tom said...it's up to you! Just convenient to drop it in, heat it up, cut it open and plop it on some bread!
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back